Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to sync remote databases after changing templates unless on local network

Unable to sync remote databases after changing templates unless on local network

We are running ACT 2011 Premium with the latest patches.

I updated some fields on one of our layouts, and ever since then my users that sync over the internet get the message "ACT is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled..." and you know the rest.  However, I have found that if I can get the remote laptops on our internal network and tell ACT to sync over the network, the sync works, and from then on the laptops can sync via internet.

The problem is that we have 3 sales reps that can not get their laptops in-house any time soon.  Can anyone enlighten me on why I am having this problem and how to fix it?

Thank you!

Silver Contributor

Re: Unable to sync remote databases after changing templates unless on local network

Most likely, your database is set to sync with the internel IPaddress or machine name of your sync server. However, this address is only recognized within your network. Once your users leave your network, the address is not recognized. 

There are a few ways to get around this.

1) have your firewall opened up to pass the traffic from the internal location to an external location.  Within ACT we can do this by opening the ACT sync port usally port 65100 to the outside and passing it's traffic through to the sync server. Most IT guys can do this.

2) use a vpn, again, most it guys can help with this.

3) consider a hosting provider

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider