Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to sync ACT 2008 Premium ST Ed

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to sync ACT 2008 Premium ST Ed

Dear community,

I'm doing a server migration and I have installed ACT! Premium 2008 ST Ed. with the Network Sync Service, I have restored the main database from a backup in the previous server, I have generated a remote database and is properly installed in my laptop.

I think I have made all the configuration fine, I have tried to compare with the previous server but is impossible due to several errors that are happening with it (that's the reason for the migration).

The fact is in the previous server we had configured the network sync, although the clients connect with the server through internet cause they are not in the same LAN, and it was working fine.

Now when I try to sync from the remote database appears a message saying ACT is unable to connect to the sync server and I have to check if accept incoming sync is enabled on the main database and the network sync service is running.

The service is running, the database is added in the network sync windows and the port 65100 is opened in the firewall but when I check accept incoming syncs in the main database appears an error message saying this: "Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections. Contact your administrator for assistance".

I have checked the ACT and the network services has the same version number except for the hotfix 1 that is installed in ACT and not for network sync service (I ignore if exists).

Any idea?

Thanks to all,

Álvaro.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author alvaro.martin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Unable to sync ACT 2008 Premium ST Ed

Hi Mike,

I'm using the machine name but is working now after restarting the machine, so the issue is solved now.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

Alvaro, there are a couple of things to check first.
1.  Can you telnet to the port?  Go to another computer and type in cmd at the start/run window.  Then type in the following:  telnet (the  IP address for the server) 65100.  If the port is accessible, it will display a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

2.  Check the Windows firewall setting.  Sometimes you can set the exclusions for Sage ACT! (http://tinyurl.com/3q2p5sm), but sometimes the Windows firewall must be turned off.

3.  Make sure the correct IP address is showing on the remote database (Tools/Synchronization Panel/Manage Database Connections).

Hope that helps, Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you create the new remote from the new server? It could be looking for the old one.

If using from outside the lan, are you using VPN or has your router port forwarding on port 65100 been changed to the new server?

You might also update all systems to 10.0.3 (including sync server) + Hotfix 3
Copper Contributor

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for your answer.

Telnet gives me an error in connection so I suppose the port is not listening but I have added all the entries in the firewall that appears in the link you posted me.

How can I open the port to be listening?

Regards,

You might check that you can ping the machine ... to be sure it's only the port.

You should also try disabling the firewall and trying again ... if that works, then see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125

Copper Contributor

The ping is ok and I have the firewall disabled.

Regards.

Ping works, but Telnet still fails with firewall disabled?

From inside the LAN also? If Telnet works inside then the router of forwarding to the wrong machine

If same inside LAN, then try the Netstat test on the server as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24341

Copper Contributor

Ping works, telnet is still failing with firewall disabled.

From inside the LAN telnet connects and the netstat -a command returns the port 65100 listening.

About port fowarding, my server is in a datacenter so I can not manage the router which connects it with the internet. I'm going to ask for support to do the redirection.

It could be other solution if it's not the port forwarding?

Regards,

If telnet works inside the lan, but not out, it's the router not forwarding the port to the machine

Does telnet work inside the lan with firewall on... if so, then the router is the only thing you need to get set

Also remember ... outside the lan, you need to use the public IP, inside the lan, you use the machine ip or name