Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to save local copy of new DB!

Unable to save local copy of new DB!

What causes this error message?

I am saving it onto my local HD, in the default folder.  I have tried to save it into other folders with the same result.

Thanx
R
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to save local copy of new DB!

Try creating a folder on the C: drive something like C:\ACT Backup and try saving the backup to there.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I had tired that, no joy.

I spent 2 hrs on the telephone with Act Contract Tech Support - the 1st person I talked to could not understand the issue, English and was a complete waste of my time.  The best he could do was refer me to a knowledgebase article that was for the wrong software version.
Note to Act!: If I could find an answer in the knowledgebase I would not be calling tech support.
The 2nd person was much better but after going over many "solutions" he was unable to solve the problem either.  I had to get off the telephone, after an hour of more,  as I had a meeting to attend.  I asked him to contune to research my issus and e-mail me a answer.  He said that all he could do was add a note to the record when I called back.

Thanx!

R
Nickel Elite Contributor

The error you are getting applies to trying to create a database on any kind of virtual drive. I made my first suggestion because I have ran into setup where My Documents were aliased to a server and you could have problems creating a database there. However, in you case ACT! is seeing you C: drive as a virtual drive. This is either caused by something in your system configuration or damage to the ACT! program itself. If it is the ACT! program itself you could do an uninstall/reinstall to see if that fixes the problem. Hope this helps.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Thanks for the help.  I ran through all of that but still no luck.  The next step will be to back everything up, uninstall the application and re-install.

Seems like a "witch-doctor-cure" to me.  Smiley Happy

R
Platinum Elite Contributor

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike,

Any other suggestions I think I'm running into simular problem. I am no longer able to do File | Save Copy As | create an empty copy of database.  I get "unable to copy the database.  Make sure that you have access to the directory.

I don't think DB is bad since even Demo DB does not work. I check all firewall settings and Trendmicro antivirus, and windows shares. It will not save anywhere I try.

I got bad feeling I have to reinstall ACT!

I've checked out ID25125, 19640, 13649, 16470 and 14540.

For 13649 I can't find Impprov.dll on my system or the remote ACT! Prem 2010, 12.0 HF4

JM

We have been having this problem today. We are trying to make an empty copy of a database that has four users. We kept getting "unable to copy the database" and "make sure you have access to the directory."  We were successful by copying the database with its data and then deleting the records. We hypothesize that it may be having trouble with the copied file having four users and the copy utility only asks for one and doesn't seem to be coded to accept others. But that is a wild guess.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Are you running Prem 2011 SP1 HotFix4

Not sure your issue but HF4 resolves this issue:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2744...

• You have applied the SP1 update to Sage ACT! 2011, made a copy of your  database via the File > Save Copy option, and see unexpected error messages  when attempting to set your duplicate checking options in the copy of the  database.
  • You have applied the SP1 update to Sage ACT! 2011, made a copy of your  database via the File > Save Copy option, and see unexpected error messages  when attempting to delete a user account in the copy of the database.

Feb. 2011 I had ACT! 2010 doing Save Copy As no issues.  In ACT Prem 2011 SP1 HF2 I had Save Copy As, create empty copy of my DB that would not save. Always got error even after reinstall of ACT!. It came down to having to recover a 2 month old backup and having to manually get current history records and fields data form it into the backup copy. Sage said my current DB was corrupt and would cost $1500 (I have 65,000 records) to have them fix the DB.

JM