Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to restore remote database, ACTDIAG cannot connect to SQL Server instance

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to restore remote database, ACTDIAG cannot connect to SQL Server instance

[ Edited ]

PLEASE READ COMPLETELY BEFORE RESPONDING...thanks

System config: Windows 7, ACT Premium 16.2, SQL Server 2008 R2 (comes with ACT)

The problem started with the remote database being unable to sync.  ACTDIAG got a long string SQL errors trying to get to Database List.  Tried recreating a new remote database, but when I tried to restore the remote database, got 'failed to restore database - error in application'.  Here's what I tried since then with no success:

• Tried SQL 'Repair' (from within SQL Config/Install), but that can't be used since it requires installation source (and that is removed after SQL install completes)
  • Uninstalled SQL Server, reinstalled - during install, tried to follow instructions at https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024248834 about setting an initial SQL password, but never got the chance - it skipped the Database Engine Config screen, but it completed
  • Tried restoring remote db, got 'failed to restore database...failed to open connection' and ACTDIAG got 'cannot connect to the SQL Server Instance'
  • Tried resetsql.bat (and answered 'y' to both prompts, as instructed in a help article that references this file) - same problem afterwards
  • Checked services - they are running properly and Windows Firewall shows the exceptions granted to SQL Server (those never changed and I've compared these settings to a known, working ACT computer)
  • Went into SQL Config/Network Protocols and added Name Pipes and TCP/IP - didn't help, same problem with restoring remote db and ACTDIAG
  • tried reinstalling ACT v16 SP3 - installation successful but same problem
  • also tried running SQLUsers.bat and AddSelfToSQLAdmin.bat - both ran successfully, but same problem

ACT has set an activation trap that prevents me from completely uninstalling and reinstalling ACT (will permanently lose access to database and ACT if I reinstall from scratch).  I'm working on eventually updating Windows and ACT, but need to get past this for now.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎12-13-2019 04:45 PM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Unable to restore remote database, ACTDIAG cannot connect to SQL Server instance

Problem is solved - I'm able to restore remote database and ACTDIAG is working properly.

When I had attempted to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2, it failed to uninstall completely, so this time I went on a 'search and destroy' mission, cleaning out orphaned registry entries via CCleaner, files left behind, etc.  This time, the reinstall of SQL Server gave me the Database Engine Config screen, so I could create an SA password and I could continue following the steps in the KB article I had referenced originally.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Unable to restore remote database, ACTDIAG cannot connect to SQL Server instance

Before looking to deeply at the SQL messages can you create a new Test database and open that OK?

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

it might be worth looking at this KB to see if this could potentially be causing the issue https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024249974 

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unable to do anything in ACT, including creating new database and restoring old database because it cannot connect to the SQL Server instance ACT7.  I'm guessing that this was caused by SQL install skipping the Database Engine Configuration step (which allows the database connection to SQL).  As I had stated originally, I've tried all ACT batch files, starting with resetsql.bat, etc. with no success.  If I can't connect to the SQL Server instance of ACT7, game over.

I need to know how to solve this issue, before I can get solving the initial problem (I'm guessing once this is solved, the original problem may be solved as well).

I also tried installing SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 (which is supposed to solve the issue referenced in the KB article that was mentioned here) and that didn't help.

Attached is a screenshot of the error message from the later version of ACTDIAG (ver 17.2) that was referenced in the KB article.  As I previously stated, ACTDIAG (the 16.2 version that comes with ACT)  gives the error message 'cannot connect to the SQL Server Instance'.

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎12-13-2019 04:45 PM
Copper Super Contributor

Problem is solved - I'm able to restore remote database and ACTDIAG is working properly.

When I had attempted to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2, it failed to uninstall completely, so this time I went on a 'search and destroy' mission, cleaning out orphaned registry entries via CCleaner, files left behind, etc.  This time, the reinstall of SQL Server gave me the Database Engine Config screen, so I could create an SA password and I could continue following the steps in the KB article I had referenced originally.