Do you mean 

Unable to restore database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to restore database

[ Edited ]

I have ACT Premium for Web V16.2, Win7 Pro, Outlook 2010

The problem actually began on 11/9/15 when the daily maintenance on the database (via Scheduler) failed with the following error:

Type of Event: Maintenance
Task Frequency: Daily, every 1 days
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Extent (1:60416) in database ID 5 is marked allocated in the GAM, but no SGAM or IAM has allocated it.
Table error: page (1:60285) allocated to object ID 1840022332, index ID 1, partition ID 72057595044757504, alloc unit ID 72057595098169344 (type In-row data) was not seen. The page may be invalid or may have an incorrect alloc unit ID in its header.
Table error: page (1:60286) allocated to object ID 1840022332, index ID 1, partition ID 72057595044757504, alloc unit ID 72057595098169344 (type In-row data) was not seen. The page may be invalid or may have an incorrect alloc unit ID in its header.
Table error: page (1:60287) allocated to object ID 1840022332, index ID 1, partition ID 72057595044757504, alloc unit ID 72057595098169344 (type In-row data) was not seen. The page may be invalid or may have an incorrect alloc unit ID in its header.
Database Maintenance error occurred with PRC_MAINT_CHECKUPDB: CHECKDB
CHECKDB found 1 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors not associated with any single object.
CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 3 consistency errors in table 'sys.change_tracking_270624007' (object ID 1840022332).
CHECKDB found 1 allocation errors and 3 consistency errors in database 'CaidanJames'.
repair_allow_data_loss is the minimum repair level for the errors found by DBCC CHECKDB (CaidanJames).

Unfortunately, even though I had it set to email notify on failure, I never received a notification (if ACT would use the standard email API's rather than direct SMTP, I would have received the notifications - another issue for another time).

I tried to use ACTDIAG to repair the database, but it failed 'check' and/or 'repair':

ACT_Check-RepairErrors.jpg

Since each database backup since 11/9 is probably corrupt due to the first error I mentioned during daily 'maintenance' (I actually tried to restore an earlier backup from 1/5 and 1/4 and although both restored successfully, they also failed database 'check').  I tried to restore a remote copy which passed all ACTDIAG checks and repairs, but that also failed during the restore:

ACT_RestoreErr.jpg

Please advise on what step to take next.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎01-20-2016 09:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Unable to restore database

After restoring the remote database (using 'restore as') to the same name, I used the procedure described in http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28485/kw/rename%20database, to rename the database back to the original name of the main/publisher database and that worked.  Check/repair was successful.  Don't know if I solved the problem, or covered up a more serious ACT and/or SQL issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Super Contributor

The best solution in this situation is to send your database in to database repair or get one of the ACCs who does database repair to fix it for you.  I can fix it but my time would be billable.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Super Contributor

I'm not sure which database to send in (the current 'publisher' database, which isn't the most current) or the remote database (the most current).  What remains unexplained, is why I'm unable to restore the remote database (as 'publisher') when all ACTDIAG tests on it are OK on the machine it came from.

Silver Super Contributor

I would send in the most recent database.  You can convert a remote database to a publisher database if you want to.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Elite Contributor

Before you send away can you try running the restore or repair on another machine with its own SQL just in case there is a platform issue on your machine causing the problem.

Copper Super Contributor

I had tried that and it failed the same way.  The remote database successfully restores if I keep the same name as the remote database both on the server and on my test machine.  My guess is that it's something in SQL server that's causing the failure to restore using a name that previously existed.

Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎01-20-2016 09:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

After restoring the remote database (using 'restore as') to the same name, I used the procedure described in http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28485/kw/rename%20database, to rename the database back to the original name of the main/publisher database and that worked.  Check/repair was successful.  Don't know if I solved the problem, or covered up a more serious ACT and/or SQL issue.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I would just make sure you are making daily backups with ACT Scheduler - just in case!