Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to open PDF attachments

Unable to open PDF attachments

This seems to be an intermittent problem.  Most of the PDF attachments will open however, a few of the PDF attachments will not have the Adobe symbol next to the attachment file name and it will prompt you to select a program to open the file.  If you choose Adobe Reader it will not open the attachment 9there was a error opening up this document).  The same email was forwarded and opened in Outlook and the attachment opened up.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to open PDF attachments

What operating system?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

ACT! 2007 Premium for Workgroups EX Edition

ver. 9.0.0.557

Windows 2003 Server

I'd suggest updating to 9.01 and applying Hotfix 3... it does fix quite a few things, although I haven't heard this.

If it still happens:

Is it after you have attached the email to a Contact's history or just from ACT! Email client?

If using ACT!'s email client, are you using Internet Mail or Outlook?

Does the attahement still show the extension as PDF?

Does it work if you save the file, then open it by double clicking on the file?

We will have the tech department apply the updates. 

The error is ocurring just in the ACT! email client. 

We are using ACT!s email client - internet mail  

The attachment extension shows up as .pdf but the icon is just a generic Windows icon - not an Adobe icon.

I did attempt to save the attachments but when saving the following error comes up:  The file could not be saved.

If you attempt to forward the email to someone else the attachments show they will be sent to the receipient but once they reach the recipient there is not attachment.

Tuned Listener

Mike,

I have the identical problem with my ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.1.199 . I can go to yahoo mail(my web sit email, and open it directly there in Acrobat with now problem, I can fwd it from act email to my AOl account and it will open.  This is a sporadic problem.  I seems that it sometimes depends on who is sending the email.

Also, my Act email will often lose it's "connection" then can't access any of the linked accounts.  I have to close the Act email by the Windows Task Manager because it will not totally close by itself.  Then, unless I close and reopen Act itself, it will state that I have not set up any email accounts yet.  WHen I reopen Act, everything is OK then when I reopen the Act email.

I'd update to 10.03 as it fixes a lot of stuff with .Net running out of resources that might help