Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to install Premium 2011

Unable to install Premium 2011

Hi, I am using Windows XP Home edition. I cannot install the program and here is the error message. Please help. Sage ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the path specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.HardReset(String strSecurityCmdLnApp, String ACTPath) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2008(String SourcePath, String ACTPath, String Param, String strSAPWD, Boolean InstallSP) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2008(String strSrcPath, String strSQLPath, String strACTPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean IsSPNeeded) Thanks, Stefan
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to install Premium 2011

Hello Stefan,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. This error would indicate that the ACT7 instance of SQL Server is either not running or not installed. This service is required in order to manage your ACT! database. Go to your Start button, and either click Run or go to the Search box on the Start menu and type services.msc. In the services window locate SQL Server (ACT7). Right-click on the service and select Start if not running. If the service is missing, then you will need to manually install it per the instructions in KB Article 26994. After installing then try to install ACT! again.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello Greig,

Thanks for your information.  I have successfully installed the Premium 2011.  I am using Win 7 64 bits.  I want to transfer my data from ACT 2000 to 2011 premium.  However, the transfer progress is being stopped due to the following reason:

Directory lookup for the file "C:\Users\Stefan\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\main.ADF" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

Could you please help?  Many Thanks,

Stefan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Error 5 is a permissions issue. Make sure that ACT! and your 2000 database are on the same local machine, that you are logged into that machine as an Administrator, and that you have disabled User Account Control (through the User Accounts option in the Control Panel).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I still cannot transfer my ACT 2000 data to ACT 2011 while I put the old database file in my C Drive.  The 2000 file name is "main.dbf".  The same error occurred.  In my computer, I am the only user showed in User Accounts and the Administrator.

Another problem exist!  Even I create a new databse in ACT 2011, it appears the following error:

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied) while attempting to open or create the physical file C:\Users\Stefan\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\Act2011.ADF"

Nickel Super Contributor

Check the sharing properties of the C:\Users\Stefan\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases folder.

Make sure the "Everyone" user has full control...add that user if necessary.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Hi Rita,

I have shared the database folder to everyone but it still appeared the error 5.  I don't know why I can't transfer the file from my ACT 2000 database and even create a new database file in 2011.

Stefan

Platinum Super Contributor

Try disabling your anti-virus software and then attempt.  If it is successful, you will want to add exceptions to the anti-virus to allow ACT! and SQL.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 25125

Detect language » Hungarian
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

I followed your suggestion to turn off my Firewall setting (I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials), but it still doesn't work, the same error (Error 5) occurred.

Stefan

Platinum Super Contributor

To see if the error is specific to the default folder, create a new folder on the root C: drive (ex: C:\ACT Database), set permissions for 'Everyone' > then create a new database with this new folder as the location.
Greg Martin
Sage