Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to install MS SQL Server 2005 for ACT! 2010 Premium

Unable to install MS SQL Server 2005 for ACT! 2010 Premium

Hello All,

I hope that someone can help me with a problem I have been trying to solve for two weeks.

Specs: Brand new "fresh out of the box" HP desktop pc; configured and have up to date device drivers;

Two 4 terabyte hdds

Three admin accounts

The desktop is not being used as a server; not do other pc connect to it.

I have been trying install ACT! 2010 and keep getting the following two prooblems.

During the installating of MS SQL Server 2005 right after the step that says, "SQL Server Data Services"  I get the following error message: Service 'SQL Server VSS Writer" (SQL Writer) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start sysetm servivces"   When I go to services and try to start the service I get the following message. "Windows could not start the SQL Server VSS Writer service on local Computer. Error 14001: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I followed the steps in the numerous Sage Knowledgebase articles on how to manually remove and install the ACT instance of the SQL Server and still getting the same problem. I had ACT! on my old machine but that machine is having hardware problems and just needs to be retired.

Any help on how to resolve this will be helpful. I am about to start pulling out my hair.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to install MS SQL Server 2005 for ACT! 2010 Premium

Are you running as the administrator? that is different from having an administrator account. The alternative have you set the UAC to the lowest level?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy,

Thanks for replying to my problem. I am installing the app as an admin. I would right click on the setup file and select the option to run as admin. I have not set the UAC to the lowest level. I will try that and let u know. How would setting the UAC to the lowest level effect any other apps, etc.

Thanks,

Rex

Hello Roy,

I tried ur suggestion and it failed during the installation. During the installation it failed at the following steps: "Database Engine Services" and "SQL Server Replication" Despite the fact that I am very compuer savvy I am not understanding why this software will not install on brand new pc. I really do not want to reformat the machine just to hopefully be able to install just one software.

Any ideas for a solution will be helpful. U have got to get this apps install as the ACT! database has critical data that I need.

Platinum Super Contributor

This could be an issue with the Microsoft .Net application.

Here are some steps that may help the installation:

- Disable UAC (done through Control Panel > User Accounts)

- Uninstall any SQL components that may have gotten installed (unless other programs are currently installed that use SQL - uninstalling SQL would break them)

- Uninstall Microsoft .Net 4 Framework (it can be reinstalled through Windows Updates after ACT!/SQL are installed)

- Reboot computer

- Install SQL manually (seperate the SQL and ACT! installations to better identify issue).

- If SQL installation successful > install ACT!

Here is an article with instructions for manually installing SQL and creating the ACT7 instance: KB Article 19386

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

I will try ur suggestions and let u know the outcome.

Hello Greg,

I tried ur suggestions and ACT! and the SQL Engine seems to install fine. But here are the additional problems that I have.

1. When trying to open my previous database (Sunshine.ADF) ACT! returns the following error message: "SQL Databae Instance is Unavailable" I click on Ok and ACT! returns another message: "Object reference not set to instance of anobject" When I click on OK ACT! shuts down.

I checked in Services that the SQL Instance of ACT7 is running and it is; I then would re-run ACT! and attempt to create a new db and ACT! would return the following error message: "Unable to create database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server."

I am still at a loss to understand why ACT! is having all these problems being installed on a brand new fresh out of the box pc. I can understand if the PC had a lot of third party apps, etc. on it. But it's fresh out of the box. I have about 20 third party apps I need to install on this pc but I need for ACT! to install and run successfully before I start intalling the rest of my third party apps.

Regards,

Not too impressed with ACT!

If the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' instance is installing correctly and the service is running, look at the Event Viewer and see if there are any messages with additional information.

Additional steps:

- ensure Firewall/Antivirus software is not blocking communication > article with instructions: KB Article 25125

- reset the SQL password > article with instructions: KB Article 19409 (use section titled: Did ACT! Configure the SQL Server)

- check DEP setting > article with instructions: KB Article 20124

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately I get the same errors. I am not understanding of all the apps installed on this pc this is the most "complicated" application to install successfully. In fact, I am beginning to think that the applicatin will NEVER install successfully unless I reformat the pc and that I will not do just for one app; it's not worth the time and effort. So after two weeks of going at this I am back to square one.

Any other suggestions.

PS. Is there a way I can do a "clean" removal of the MS SQL (ACT7) and ACT! instance without having to read 40 pages of documentation.

We have the ACT!Uninstaller utility which will remove the ACT! program and the ACT7 instance within SQL (it won't remove SQL in it's entirety).  Here is a link to instructions for using the uninstaller: KB Article 19338

Please see your Private Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage