Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to install MS SQL Server 2005 for ACT! 2010 Premium

Highlighted

Re: Unable to install MS SQL Server 2005 for ACT! 2010 Premium

Hello Greg,

I donwloaded and ran the ACTUNINSTALLER.exe; followed the documenations in manually removed the MS SQL Instalce of ACT. Rebooted and re-installed ACT! and still getting the same problems. In fact, it seems worste because now I have two instances of the following: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2b Setup (English). I want know how to do a clean removal of the MS SQL Servers. It seems like they are not being installed successfully alhough during the installation ACT! ot Windows Installed never return any errors.

Like I stated before in my previous messages this is the most time consuming and complicated application to install. But I must get this app to install and run successfully as I have critical data in the ACT DB that I need access to.

Highlighted
Platinum Super Contributor

I don't know why you would have SQL 2008 installed, the ACT! 2010 program includes the SQL 2005 install files... The following information assumes that no other programs on your computer use SQL.

After cleaning off the current SQL programs, you will want to manually create the ACT7 instance of SQL 2005 using the instructions in this article: KB Article 19386.  Once SQL is installed, you will then install ACT!.

To remove SQL completely requires working with the registry.  If you are comfortable working in the registry, here are some general steps for removing the SQL entries. 

Disclaimer: If you remove the wrong entries it could cause other issues with the computer.  Having someone knowledgeable in the manual removal of the Microsoft SQL Server program is recommended.

- unisntall ACT! and SQL components through Programs and Features

- rename or delete the Program File folders for ACT! and SQL (C:\program files (x86)\act  and C:\program files (x86)\microsoft sql server)

- open registry > make backup (Export > Export Range = All)

- under HK Current User > Software > Wow6432node > Microsoft - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- under HK Local Machine > Software > Wow6432node > Microsoft - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- under HK Current User > System > Controlset* > Services - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- reboot the computer

- attempt to install SQL 2005 manually

Again, these are general steps and each computer will have a varying set of files/entries due to the state of the SQL installation.  Only if you are comfortable with the registry should you attempt to remove these items.

Note: The locations listed are for a 64-bit OS, if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 - '(x86)' will not be included in Program Files, and 'Wow6432node' will not be included in the Registry items.

Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your help but unfortunately. I am still not able to succesfully open my database. When I try to open a create a database I am getting the following error: "Failed to open a connection to the database," and "Object reference not set to instance of an object."  I turned on DEP and still getting the same problem.

I  even tried to create a new DB and get the following error message: "Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server."

So I am back to sqaure one where the problem appears to be the SQL Server.

Regards,

Disappointed