Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to delete fields

Copper Super Contributor

Unable to delete fields

I have a few obsolete fields that I need to delete, but I keep getting an error. They were created in our Act 6 database and brought into our Act Prem 2005. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.

Whenever I try to delete the fields, I get the following error: 'Unable to prepare DELETE command.' I've tried everything, deleting from a workstation connected to the database, opening Act on the server and trying to delete there, making sure that the fields contain no information. Nothing seems to work.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to delete fields

What are the fields that you are trying to delete? Core fields and system fields can't be deleted.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Check what the original field name is as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/2g866p

Is the field one you've created or an original one from ACT!?

ACT! 2005 limits the fields that can be deleted to the following:
    • Birth Date
    • Spouse
    • User 1 - User 10
    • Any custom fields that have been created.

Also, if a field has been used in a sync set it can be deleted.

Copper Super Contributor

I deleted User 1 - 10 a long time ago. No need for them. In Act 6, we had Specialty 1 - 3, to describe the industry specialty a contact had. We needed three to capture multiple. In Act 2005, we converted all of that over to a new multi-select field so we no longer needed the 3 separate fields. Now I can't delete Specialty 1, Specialty 2, Specialty 3.

We've never sync'd. We use a single database hosted on a server which everyone connects to. I've renamed all of the fields to put a 'z' in front of them go to the bottom of the list. This gets them out of the way but it's just clutter that I want removed from the database.

Did you try the KB link I posted to see if they were put into ACT! 2005 pre-done fields or if they show as custom?
Copper Super Contributor

Here's the info from the report. These fields display in "Table: Contact" where the majority of my custom fields are in "Table: Contacts Table 1"

ACT! Field: zSPECIALTY 1 ACT! Fieldtype: Character(50) Custom: 1 Ordinal: 49 Displayed: 1 Define Fields: 1
ACT! Field: zSPECIALTY 2 ACT! Fieldtype: Character(50) Custom: 1 Ordinal: 50 Displayed: 1 Define Fields: 1
ACT! Field: zSPECIALTY 3 ACT! Fieldtype: Character(50) Custom: 1 Ordinal: 51 Displayed: 1 Define Fields: 1

Well, they are custom. Have you removed them from the Layout first?
Make a copy of the database and see if it happend. If it does, try creating a new field and then deleting it
Copper Super Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Well, they are custom. Have you removed them from the Layout first?
Make a copy of the database and see if it happend. If it does, try creating a new field and then deleting it

After I make a copy of the database, see if what happens?

I looked through some old layouts and I found that zSpecialty1 was still on the layout. I removed it, but I can't try to delete the field until tonight when everyone is logged off. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work, then I'll try making a copy of the db. So fields can't be deleted if they appear on a layout?

Thanks for the suggestions, hope it works.

DaveHenzel wrote:

After I make a copy of the database, see if what happens?

I looked through some old layouts and I found that zSpecialty1 was still on the layout. I removed it, but I can't try to delete the field until tonight when everyone is logged off. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work, then I'll try making a copy of the db. So fields can't be deleted if they appear on a layout?

Thanks for the suggestions, hope it works.

Actually, I don't know... just a guess :-)
Copper Super Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Actually, I don't know... just a guess :-)

Well, at least you're honest about it Smiley Happy