Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to access Database Act Pro 2012

Unable to access Database Act Pro 2012

I have 4 databases, 3 of which load fine, combo of shared and not shared.

One of my databases, most current of course (shared), is failing to load.

The login screen comes up and the login name is unchanged, there is no password, after clicking OK the error pops up:

. . The database "blahblah" could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server . . . .

I downloaded ACTDiag but am unable to access any of my databases with it, I get this error:

. . Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue . . . . . .. ..

. . Cannot open database "blahblah" requested by the login.

The login failed.

Login failed for user 'sa'.

I downloaded the ResetSQL.bat. No help.

My client insists they have never had a password.

I have the computer running stand-alone off site.

Any insight would be appreciated!!

Re: Unable to access Database Act Pro 2012

Have I posted to the wrong forum?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Chadwick,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Concentrating on opening the 1 trouble database, and if I read correctly... it is hosted on a separate computer.  Can you open the database on the hosting computer?

The error indicates that ACT! cannot find the host computer, or the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service isn't running.

If the other databases are also on the same host computer, the service is running since you can access them.  Open the database directly on the host machine.  If successful, copy the PAD file associated with the database from the host to the workstation and attempt to open using the PAD file.

If you can't open the database on the host computer, what is the error there?

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Gmartin,

Thank you for responding.

I just spoke with my client and they believe that the db is only on this computer, so it's a local server that others accessed, but I am taking the computer back to their location tomorrow and reattaching to that network to see what happens.

I created a test, shared, database and ACT seems to run fine on this PC.

Thanks again for the response and I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

-Ryan

Been off in other directions for a while, but the problems still exists.

Recap of original post:

"

I have 4 databases, 3 of which load fine, combo of shared and not shared.

One of my databases, most current of course (shared), is failing to load.

The login screen comes up and the login name is unchanged, there is no password, after clicking OK the error pops up:

. . The database "blahblah" could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server . . . .

I downloaded ACTDiag but am unable to access any of my databases with it, I get this error:

. . Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue . . . . . .. ..

. . Cannot open database "blahblah" requested by the login.

The login failed.

Login failed for user 'sa'.

I downloaded the ResetSQL.bat. No help.

My client insists they have never had a password.

I have the computer running stand-alone off site.

Any insight would be appreciated!! "

Platinum Super Contributor

The file used to open the database is the '*.PAD' file. Open that file using Notepad and look at the host computer name and location - do they match with the actual location of the database files (ADF, ALF)?

If you have the ADF file available, delete the PAD file and open the database using the ADF file (it will recreate the PAD file with correct information).
Greg Martin
Sage

the problem drags on . . .

I deleted the Pad file and the ADF file resulted in the same original error.

This was a shared file and my client was attempting to backup and move to another computer.

I see an ACT.zip folder on the desktop, she must have created, but it appears to be corrupted. I tried to open with no success then restore but that errored as well. The beggining of the error reads:

"Xceed.Zip.InvalidZipStructureEsception: Could not find a central header where one was expected in the zip file. etc."

One thing to note is that when I choose Open/Share Database, I receive the database list and db I'm having problems with does not have a button for share or unshare, no option given.

Thanks in advance . . . again . . .

-Ryan