Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to access Act Database. Check network....

Unable to access Act Database. Check network....

Hi All,

I have a really frustrating situation.  Having bought a new PC to host Act and share a database, having followed all the steps in the instructions I am still unable to access the Database from the client PC.  I have checked all the following:-

Database is enabled for sharing.

Permissions are set on the host machine - can navigate to the PAD file - can even create a new folder in the same folder.

TCP/IP is enabled.

Act is allowed in the Firewall

Act is allowed in the Antivirus

SQL server is running

Have right clicked on the database icon and opened with Notepad and changed the computer name to the IP address

Tried creating a new database to make sure it's not a corrupt database - same issue.

I really can't figure out what could possibly be left!  But clearly there's something!

For a 'out of the box' CRM solution this really is beyond belief - and EXTREMELY frustrating!

Any ideas as to what I might have missed here?

Rgds,

Richy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unable to access Act Database. Check network....

[ Edited ]

Hello Richy,
If you are able to open the database locally on the server, then see this Knowledgebase article for causes and solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Some things you may want to check are (they are in the article):
- If server is Windows 2008, then disable User Account Control from the User Accounts section in the Control Panel
- Make sure that SQL standard and dynamic port exceptions are in firewall
- Try changing the host name in your database's .PAD file from the server name to the internal IP address of the server
- Make sure permissions are set to Full Control for all users

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Many thanks for that.

I have made sure that ACT is listed in the exceptions and I have also opened up Ports 1433 and 1434 specifically - to no avail.

I have tried changing the name in the .PAD file to the IP address but still can't access the database.

The frustration goes on!

Richy

Bronze Elite Contributor

Is the database hosted on a server and if so what is the server operating system?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

It's on a Windows XP machine - on a Peer to Peer network.

All sharing settings are wide open - you can create a folder right next to the .PAD file in the folder so the ability to modify files is present.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Richy,
You stated that you opened up SQL ports 1433/1434, which are the default ports. Did you also add an exception for the dynamic SQL port? Have you also added the program exceptions for both ACT! and SQL? And, in regards to sharing on an XP machine:
- Make sure Simple File Sharing is off
- In the Sharing and Security, grant "Full Control" to "Everyone"
Also, and this may not apply to your setup, but XP has 10-user connection limit, so the 11th user will not be able to connect.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Our experience is that an XP peer-to-peer network can be unpredictable with permissions, more so if associated with a domain environment, but in this case it appears you don't have a domain controller. I would be ensuring that the Windows users were also users on each and every peer machine if they aren't already. Have you also temporarily disabled the firewall and antivirus applications to see if that makes a difference?   

Graeme Leo

Simple File Sharing was indeed enabled and so I have now disabled it and been back in to the Act folders and set them all to sharing with "everyone" including Full Access.

The exceptions mentioned are all in the Firewall.  Have even tried switching off the firewall completely but this doesn't work either.

This really is not an 'Out of the Box' product.  Bring back a Borland based database!!  May be outdated but at least was robust!

All those bases covered and exhausted!  Thanks anyway!

Bronze Elite Contributor

What is the exact error screen that displays when trying to gain access?

Graeme Leo