Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Synchronise on just one laptop

Re: Unable to Synchronise on just one laptop

Thank you to everyone for their help on this. I have now resolved the problem by entering the IP address instead of the server name in the synchronisation panel.
Nickel Super Contributor

Glad to see you resolved this problem.

By changing to an IP address you side stepped any name resolution issues that one laptop was having.

You might want to check to see if it is configured with different DNS server(s) than the others, or if the DNS servers are listed in a different order (ie., the Primary DNS being the Alternate).

In the future, you may also want to get in the practice of adding a reference in each computers HOST file specifying the IP address and HOSTNAME of the Act server. That can be found in X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC.

Regards,

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor

BTW Ken:

While the Hosts file is usually: %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ as the default and as you said, it can be changed.

The actual directory is determined by the reg key:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath.

Also, if internal to the LAN or on VPN, it's more likely to be WINS than DNS.

Trivia is my middle name ;-)

Nickel Super Contributor

You are a committed Geek, I'll give you that.

Regards,

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

I am having the exact same problem except I am able to connect to the server. See below log

: ======== SYNC SESSION - 7/1/2008 7:41:14 PM ========[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:14 PM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:14 PM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:14 PM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:18 PM ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: REMOTE_ROBERT_062708
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:18 PM ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: aa4a5f1a-50ec-463b-b646-016f8ef77cf0:<Remote_Robert_062708>
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:26 PM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:31 PM ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 23
[ Info | 7/1/2008 7:41:32 PM ]Message: Server initialized.

This is where it stops every time.  Thinking I had a corrupt database, I created another remote database and to my surprise, it worked.  However, about a day later it stopped working again.  I have two other users that are set up to sync as well and one of the users started experiencing the same thing.  The other user is still syncing with no issues.  I spent hours with ACT support with no luck.  They told me a senior tech will call me today.  No such luck.  Does anybody have any ideas?  Help!!!

Copper Contributor

check the firewall settings on your computer and make sure it allows the connection to the server.

I completely turned off my Windows firewall and continue to have the same issue.  I assume it's not a firewall issue since some communication is taking place as per the log on my original post.  Your help is appreciated.
Platinum Elite Contributor

@shadowtrack wrote:
I completely turned off my Windows firewall and continue to have the same issue.  I assume it's not a firewall issue since some communication is taking place as per the log on my original post.  Your help is appreciated.

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

What actual error does the remote user get?

What method of sync - Application, Network, Internet?

How are you connecting - LAN, VPN, Internet?