Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Synchronise on just one laptop

Unable to Synchronise on just one laptop

I have ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199 running on 8 laptops. The main database is located on our server with the laptops synching to it. I have managed to get 7 of the laptops to sync fine, but there is one that will not sync. Whenever I try I get the error message "ACT is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure that "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network Sync Service is running. I have spoken to the support desk and tried all the measures (disabling firewalls and antivirus protection, checking link between server and computer etc, checking the SQL Server is running) but cannot solve the problem. As all the other laptops sync fine and have exactly the same software installed on them as this one I am presuming the issue lies somewhere on this machine.

Would anyone be able to shed any light on what the problem might be and how I could solve it? Your help would be much appreciated and feel free to ask if you require anymore information. Thank you in advance

Copper Contributor

Re: Unable to Synchronise on just one laptop

Try verify that this laptop is trying to sync with the right server.  To check this, open ACT! on that laptop, then goto Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Connection Information.  Make sure that the correction Connection Type is selected and that the correct Machine name is entered (name of the Sync server) and port number.

What method of synchronization are you using? (Network, Application or Internet?)

Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Thank you but I have already done this and all is fine. It is set up to sync to correct computer (the server) and port number. I am using Network synchronisation.
Copper Contributor

The error you are getting is a generic error basically telling you that ACT! can't communicate to the Sync server through the sync port you are trying to use.  To confirm, you should be able to Telnet into the sync server using the port number you've configured.

As an example, if your server name was SERVER1 and the sync port  you were using is 65100 (standard ACT! sync port) then you could test communication from the laptop by opening the command prompt and typing:

telnet SERVER1 65100

If successful, a blank screen that appears and if you hit enter it should respond back with a errors referring to .NET.  If unsuccessful it will tell you that it can't connect.

After this test you will at least be able to determine whether or not you can communicate with the sync server via the sync port you are using.

Note: If this is a Vista laptop, you will need to turn on the Telnet Client in order to be able to use it as it's not enabled by default.

Adrian VanderLaan

Thanks, I will give this a go and see what the response is, if it is unsuccessful what do I need to do? Even if it is successful what do I need to do to make ACT! synchronise?
Copper Super Contributor

Sometimes diagnosing a sync problem like this is tricky because that particular error message can mean anything from something simple or something quite complicated. It sounds like you went through the basic issues already. Is the Anti-Virus on that machine different than the other laptops?

Also one thing to try:

In Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Connection Information, replace the Server Name with the Server IP address instead.

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it out. The antivirus is exactly the same. How can I find the IP address of our server?
Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Log on to the server

Go to Start/Run and type in CMD

When the command prompt comes up, type in ipconfig 

{edited for spelling. Thanks for pointing it out Adrian}

Message Edited by AJones on 06-30-2008 04:15 PM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

AJones wrote:

Log on to the server

Go to Start/Run and type in CDM

When the command prompt comes up, type in ipconfig 

Small correction to AJones' post, when you log onto the server, choose Start/Run, then type CMD (not CDM), then type ipconfig when the prompt comes up.
Message Edited by avanderlaan on 06-20-2008 08:31 AM
Adrian VanderLaan
Nickel Super Contributor

Sara,

You can narrow things down a little bit, and the telnet test can help.  Alternatively, open your web browser and go to the following address:

http://SERVER:65100

Where SERVER is the name of the computer that the Network Sync Service is running on.  This should give you a browser window with the same .NET error as the Telnet test does, but it's a little easier to do, especially if you're running Vista or the command prompt scares you.  The error should start with "Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureRemotingException: Server requires a secure connection for this client at..."

If this does not work, the first thing to try is to do the same test, this time using the IP address of the server, for example:
http://192.168.1.100:65100

If the first test fails and the second test is successful, then your Remote Computer is not able to resolve the Host Name of the Network Sync Server to it's IP address.  You can either change ACT! to use the IP address in the Manage Connection Information section of the Synchronization Panel, or you can address the resolution issue by either digging into that bigger problem or editing the hosts file to tell that computer the IP address.

If the first test works right away, it means that the Network Sync Service computer is accepting requests from your Remote Computer to the Network Sync Service.  If that works, but ACT! does not synchronize then here are a few possible causes:

- firewall software is blocking the ACT! program on the Remote Computer

- ACT! isn't set up to synchronize with the correct network sync server

- mismatched version of ACT! is installed on the Remote Computer

If both tests fail, assuming still that your other computers can synchronize, it means you have a network connectivity issue.  If neither ACT! nor the browser test can connect, you've got something preventing anything from reaching out from the Remote Computer to the Network Sync Server.

Basic connectivity can be tested by going to the command prompt and typing:

ping SERVERIPADDRESS

(where SERVERIPADDRESS is, logically, the IP address of your server)

If you get a response back, most likely you have a firewall issue.

If you get no response back, you have a connectivity problem - these computer are not actually talking on the network, at least not using the TCP/IP protocol which is the basis for most Windows networks.

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training