Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to Open Demo Database and Login Failed for User ACTADMIN Error when Creating Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Unable to Open Demo Database and Login Failed for User ACTADMIN Error when Creating Database

ACT Version: ACT! Premium v20

Database Version: SQL Server 2008R2

Operating System: Windows Server 2008R2

--------------------------------------

I followed the instructions for setting up the ACT7 instance on an existing SQL Server 2008R2 installation. I then installed ACT! Premium v20 on the server. I was able to launch ACT! and connect to the Demo Database. I then went to create a new database and tried using the actadmin username and password but got a message that the Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'. I have admin rights to the SQL Server so I went ahead and changed the password for ACTADMIN to something I knew and then went back to set up a new database. I also checked and couldn't log in to the ACT7 instance using the username sa so I changed that password and ran the "SecurityCmdLnApp.exe PASSWORD". 

Now I get the messages "Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'" followed by the message "An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database. Please log on to a database first." 

I then went to Open/Share Database, selected the ACT2018Demo database and pressed the "Open Database" button and I get a blank console very quickly (can't even get a screenshot of it) and am returned to the Welcome! screen.

What do I need to do to resolve this issue?

I have multiple instances of SQL Server running on this machine. I also would like to avoid an uninstall/reinstall since that requires a server reboot and I only have windows to reboot on weekends. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pprivon
‎01-02-2018 08:04 AM
Administrator

Re: Unable to Open Demo Database and Login Failed for User ACTADMIN Error when Creating Database

[ Edited ]

I'm unclear what you meant when you mentioned trying to create a database with the actadmin login? When creating a new database you should be able to set the credentials you want to use to log in.

Logging in to an Act! database using Act, is not the same as logging in to the database instance via SQL. Act uses it's own credential system which is separate for each database. You can create and edit users/credentials from within Act in Tools > Manage Users.

Perhaps I've misunderstood though - and the error messages you're getting do indicate an issue with the applications SQL credentials.

The best solution, which will help resolve any underlying cause for the initial issue - as well as reset the ACTADMIN and SA passwords correctly would be to do the following:

1) Go to this KB: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36794 - At the bottom of the article there is an attached "ResetSQL.bat", download this - and "Run as Admin".
When prompted to "Turn off Password Policy" choose "Y" (this is temporary while the batch file runs, and is required) - then do the same when prompted to reset SQL password. This will reset the sa account password, and automatically run the securityCmdLnApp application to connect the new password to Act!

2) Go to this KB: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37665 - Again, download the "SQLUSERS.bat" file at the bottom of the article. Run this as Admin again, and press any key when prompted (this will happen several times before this finishes. This should recreate and reconfigure the core Act SQL accounts (like ACTADMIN).

It's important to run these file as admin - or you may get errors like "Operating System Error 5".

Hopefully, this should resolve your issue - let me know if you run into any unexpected errors, or if this doesn't resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author pprivon
‎01-02-2018 08:04 AM
Administrator

Re: Unable to Open Demo Database and Login Failed for User ACTADMIN Error when Creating Database

[ Edited ]

I'm unclear what you meant when you mentioned trying to create a database with the actadmin login? When creating a new database you should be able to set the credentials you want to use to log in.

Logging in to an Act! database using Act, is not the same as logging in to the database instance via SQL. Act uses it's own credential system which is separate for each database. You can create and edit users/credentials from within Act in Tools > Manage Users.

Perhaps I've misunderstood though - and the error messages you're getting do indicate an issue with the applications SQL credentials.

The best solution, which will help resolve any underlying cause for the initial issue - as well as reset the ACTADMIN and SA passwords correctly would be to do the following:

1) Go to this KB: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36794 - At the bottom of the article there is an attached "ResetSQL.bat", download this - and "Run as Admin".
When prompted to "Turn off Password Policy" choose "Y" (this is temporary while the batch file runs, and is required) - then do the same when prompted to reset SQL password. This will reset the sa account password, and automatically run the securityCmdLnApp application to connect the new password to Act!

2) Go to this KB: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37665 - Again, download the "SQLUSERS.bat" file at the bottom of the article. Run this as Admin again, and press any key when prompted (this will happen several times before this finishes. This should recreate and reconfigure the core Act SQL accounts (like ACTADMIN).

It's important to run these file as admin - or you may get errors like "Operating System Error 5".

Hopefully, this should resolve your issue - let me know if you run into any unexpected errors, or if this doesn't resolve the problem.