Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

URGENT PLS HELP !! RESTORE DATABASE

URGENT PLS HELP !! RESTORE DATABASE

Hi. 

A user has deleted a large number of contacts within our database and i dont know who.

so firstly is there a way to find out who has deleted contacts.  We use ACT 2008 Workgroup Ed.

I only have a backup of the windows directory where the ACT database is.  everytime i try and restore from a previous backup it shows the exact same number of contacts as there are in the up to date database with the missing contacts.

thanks for your help

M

Nickel Contributor

Re: URGENT PLS HELP !! RESTORE DATABASE

You can check the History of each user to determine who has deleted the records.

This will tell you whose guilty, but you won't be able to do much about it... aside from punishing them.

If your only available backup does NOT include these deleted records, your only option is pray there is a remote user (if there are any) who has not synchronized since the data deletions.

ACT! does not have a restore records feature, and I am unaware of any utilties that provide that functionality.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, our users access ACT via Citrix as a published application.  is there a way to find out what data has been exported from the database or what lookups etc have been carried out by a user.  with regards to history for a particular user can the contact shown as deleted be restored or not.

thanks

M

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't any restore of contacts possible without a valid backup. You referred to a backup of the Windows directory. There are two possibilities, the backup you made was only of the PAD file because the ADF and ALF files were held open by MSSQL or you were not doing unique backups and had only one backup and the backup was made after the deletion occurred. Either way, the contact records are most likely lost. Sorry. For the future, ACT! has a builtin scheduler and that should be used to create your database backups.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129