Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

URGENT - Citrix installation issues

Bronze Super Contributor

URGENT - Citrix installation issues

I have a client using Citrix who I am visiting on Wednesday (tomorrow!) and they have emailed the following to preempt problems they have been having.

I'm hoping someone can provide some ideas (please?):

To provide a heads up for the visit by the guru (no pressure) this Wednesday, I here outline the issues we have with ACT! and the environment the system operates within.

The ACT! server runs under Windows 2008 R2 and is accessed from client machines running Windows 7 Ultimate by the web interface and the ACT! Windows client. There is no SQL databases installed on the client machines.

We run a virtualisation desktop infrastructure (VDI) using XenServer 6.2 as hypervisor and XenDesktop 7.5 for desktop delivery. We use statically pooled desktops with a “personal” vDisk. That is, the same desktop is always delivered to the same user after allocation.

The only reason we use pooled-static as opposed to pooled-random delivery is due to issues with ACT! or, in particular, the ACT! licencing system. When we initially attempted to use the ACT! Windows client under the pooled-random methodology the client would freeze if run as administrator or complain that the Protexis Licencing service was not running if run as a restricted user. The reason why we could not install and register the ACT! client on the master image under the pooled-random methodology was that the machine id would be different on the individual desktops compared to that of the master image where the client was registered. There may also have been other parameters that changed as a consequence of running on a different machine that the licencing system could not cope with. So, we used pooled-static instead hoping it would solve the problem. It did not. We had the same issue.

What we had to do to get the ACT! client working was to include a so called personal vDisk with the statically-pooled machines that basically is a disk that is hooked to the desktops that enables them to be individually customised. We could then install the ACT! client directly onto the desktops, as opposed to the master image, and successfully register it and use. We had to select the option during installation that states that only the current user can run it so relevant licencing parameters were stored on the “personal” vDisk. So, now we had the ACT! Windows client working but far from ideal as (1) we could no longer benefit from only having to update the master image to update all desktops and (2) had to re-register every single ACT! client instance when the master images was updated (no idea why, but that we have to do.) Updating the desktops is, therefore, a cumbersome and time consuming affair that otherwise would have been a breeze when using VDI technology.

I have had numerous correspondence with SAGE (now swiftpage) technical support regarding this but no luck. ACT!’s licencing system simply appears not to be compatible with VDI and pooled desktops.

Having now been in receipt of ACT! v16, I am sad to say that the workaround we applied to v15 does not work for v16 for some reason. We are getting the same fault characteristic that we had with v15 when installed on the master image when installing v16 directly onto the client machines using the personal vDisk. This is not good news. I hope Swiftpage can provide a workable solution.

I have setup a server running v16 and two client machine, one pooled-randomly and one polled-statically, that can be used to test various setups on the day. I will provide details on how to access these on Wednesday.

What would be the best solution is if we could be provided with an ACT! Windows client version that bypasses altogether the licencing system locally. It will not really affect the licencing for the system on a whole as the ACT! Premium server that we use will be licenced and, hence, block access if we have used up the maximum number of allowed clients. An even better solution though would be if ACT! could become a system designed for the future and, hence, compatible with VDI. For now though, anything that gets the ACT! clients working, however cumbersome, is a great result!

We got other issue with ACT! relevant to Outlook integration and start up speed but we will discuss that on the day. Quite frankly though, any other issues are minor compared to what I have outlined above!

I will be looking forward to further the discussion this coming Wednesday!

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Re: URGENT - Citrix installation issues

I'm no expert, but I think ACT! V16 Works With  Citrix® software using Citrix XenApp® 5.0 and 6.0

Experts in ACT! Recommend...

1. At the time of installation  disable the Firewall and UAC (User Account Control)

2. Before installing have installed all Windows Updates

good luck...

Everyday I learn something new
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: URGENT - Citrix installation issues

Thanks Juan for your help.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org