Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to understand how to install for SQL Server on another server

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Trying to understand how to install for SQL Server on another server

We have a department that purchased 15 ACT Premium licenses. They currently have 15 users connecting to this install which is on a PC. The  userbase needs to increase by a few users and we need to move this off the PC to a server and have the DB on a SQL server Standard install.

Can someone outline the steps we need to do to make this happen? I am confused about whether we would need to have ACT installed on a server. Can we migrate the DB off the pc and have it attached to one of our SQL servers and then just point the users to that db?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author lbonnes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Trying to understand how to install for SQL Server on another server

If your current Act license is setup for SQL express, you will need to perform a manual install of the SQL Standard ACT7 instance on the server, then install the Act application:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

After that you will be able to transfer your database from one computer to your server, and point your existing client machines to the new location:

How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

You would need to install aCT on that new server;  with that would come the ACT specific SQL instance.  YOu could then backup the database and restore on the new server.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you for the reply.  We have no experience with ACT because we are an MS CRM company but this one department wants ACT.

So if I understand correctly I install ACT on a server which will install SQL Express and create the ACT db. I then backup that db and have it restored to the SQL box? Is that correct? How do i go about using their current db?

Nickel Contributor

Depending on the version of ACT you are running depends on the SQL version. ACT! @011 requires SQL 2008, you can manually install an ACT7 instanace by following hte attached process:
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27039/kw/SQL%20Standard/session/L3RpbWUvMTM...

Please note you will still need to install the application.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Solution
Accepted by topic author lbonnes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

If your current Act license is setup for SQL express, you will need to perform a manual install of the SQL Standard ACT7 instance on the server, then install the Act application:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

After that you will be able to transfer your database from one computer to your server, and point your existing client machines to the new location:

How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

Thanks to everyone who answered.

We have Premium and we have SQL 2008 servers so i guess we are all set once we get a virtual server stood up. Thanks again for all the replies.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 simple question. We have many (> 100) instances of SQL Server installations in our environment. We do not use the standard 1433 port for SQL and our instance name are like PRODAPP23, DEVAPP456 etc. The ports  we listen on correspond with the names (i.e. PRODAPP23 might listen on port 45423).

The install instructions show that when i install SQL Server I need to name the instance ACT7. Is that necessary or can I just backup the db from the PC that multiple users were connecting to and restored that DB to an existing SQL Server that is hosting other non-Act databases? 

Nickel Contributor

ACT7 is a required instance name and must be the SQL instance for ACT! to work. You can install an ACT7 Instance using SQL Standard onto an existing SQL server, but in order to configure and manage this you need to install ACT! on this server.

The instance is locked so you will not be able to access this through normal SQL tools like Studio Manager without 'paying' and signing away rights for the SA password from Sage
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand