Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to move ACT! to a new PC - getting a Operating system error 2 during restore

Trying to move ACT! to a new PC - getting a Operating system error 2 during restore

I am trying to move my ACT! Database from one computer to another.

I have created a zip using the export djhsa;djhsdl;ghasl;

I have loaded ACT! on a new PC and try to run   the restore wizard and get the following error

Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbException: Cannot open backup device......file name.BAK...... Operating system error2(system cannot find the file specified)

Seems to stem from the restore as function not extracting the zip file to the correct location.  It is looking for the *.BAK file a

Any tips out there for getting around this issue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trying to move ACT! to a new PC - getting a Operating system error 2 during restore

You need to make the backup from File | Backup in the ACT! program to get it to restore.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Trying to move ACT! to a new PC - getting a Operating system error 2 during restore

I am sorry that I was not clear.

I used the File, Back Up, Database - it created the zip file

Are you doing a Restore or Restore As? You would need to be doing the Restore As. It could also be a corrupted backup file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have tried many time including Restore and Restore As

Then it's most likely a corrupted backup file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

This could be a SQL Server error. Please see KB Article 23953

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

This solved my problem - thank you!  I tried Restore and was being denied access even after going through the SQL Server change to local suggestion in another post, but doing the Restore As worked perfectly.

The Restore did not carry over my customized Lay out whereas the Restore As did.

Thank you again.