- Using ACT Premium 16

- On a local machine

- Windows 7

-All ports are open

-Firewall file and print sharing done

-Windows file share done

-All ACT databases are marked "shared"

PROBLEM:

I have been trying to  connect my sales person in another office with our shared databases and it's error message after error message on his end.

After he double clicks the .pad file he gets these messages:

• The computer could not be reached because the IP address could not be resolved.Verifying the computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve the issue.

• The  computer and database were found but you do not have the appropriate share permissions to access the folder on the  computer. You may need to enable "File and print Sharing" in the firewall of the computer. Checking your windows file share permissions may resolve this issue.

• Login information is incorrect. Please login the correct information and try again.

Thoughts?

Copper Contributor

Re: Trying to connect and share to our other office - still not working

I suggest you a ACT! Certified Consultant

1. If you open temporarily the  PAD with Notepad, you will see the server name (Example) Host:Server - In this case the user's computer should be able to resolve the name of the computer that has the database.

To test this set, click Start - Run ... \\server (Enter) remember that server is just an example, PAD file has the server name (The Host is the serser or desktop computer with the Database as Server).

Is Possible that when You  do this test... the ACT! Server prompted user and password, if you wish you want... put the Administrator user and password of the ACT! Server (Remember my credentials) After this you should see the ACT! Server share resources.

2. The  security of  Supplemental files folder should allow read and write access to "Everyone" Users Group, Right click on the folder and check the security tab this condition.

The database consists of 3 files and folder, this folder is the "Supplemental files folder"

3. Login information is incorrect.....  When you can correct the previous ... check on the same server if the user can access the database ... may be necessary to reset his/her password as the administrator user in the database

I'm no expert, but these are my ideas - Good Luck

http://praxisol.com

Everyday I learn something new
Platinum Elite Contributor

What you're trying isn't a good choice. Even if you get it working (setting up a VPN) ACT! performance will be very slow. Your better choice would be to setup database synchronization and have the remote run a local database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

Most likely a networking problem of some kind. For performance reasons, i'd set up a sync database, ACT for Web or have it hosted.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

JBo

[ Edited ]

Thank you all! Very detailed!