01-09-2013 08:08 AM
I'm currently working on a database that has 598 contacts with notes, history, and actitivies on each one.
We are trying to export that database into our production database but the export process keeps kicking itself out once it gets to the activities portion. It exports the contacts, then the notes, then the history...then after that activities pops up for 1 second and then disappears.
Also, when we look at the exported contacts in the production database, none of the notes or history is under the contacts even though it said it exported them. Thoughts?
01-10-2013 12:57 AM
This was fixed in Hotfix 4 as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
02-06-2013 09:43 AM
I am actually experiencing a very similar problem -- except I am running ACT 2009 Premium with about 20 users.
I am currently working on setting up a completely new database and when I export contacts from the old DB to the new, it does not carry over the contacts activities(calls, meetings, etc). All attachments also seem to disappear.
At first I thought this was because those activities were scheduled for users in the old database that do not exist in the new database and it just didn't show up for that reason. So I made sure I created the exact same user accounts in the new database and tried to re export the same contacts. The results stayed the same, no activities carried over to the new database.
Dates: All dates
Select Users: All Users
Now I see when I am exporting more than a few contacts at a time, it shows exporting histories and then right after that the window disappears. When going into the new database the contacts are there but the activities tab is completely empty.
Any hotfixes for this glitch?
02-06-2013 09:52 AM
What exact build for ACT! 2009 - from Help | About?
Did you follow the steps as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
Why are you trying to create a new database this way?
02-06-2013 10:08 AM
I am following most of the steps in this article but some of the steps are different because the nature of what I'm creating differs slightly.
I first created a fresh clean empty database and set up options the way I wanted them ( new fields, behavior, new layout etc) and now I am only trying to import about 1/4 of the currenty contacts, about 500 contacts.
The new fresh copy I created using an exact same username as the source database I am trying to copy. I am actually right now trying to export 57 contacts at once and it's been stuck on the same status for several minutes already, "exporting notes".
using build 184.108.40.2067
02-06-2013 10:21 AM
Creating the users in the new database with new contact records gave them new unique IDs that ate used for the activities, etc. What you need to do is create the new empty database and then expor the user records to the new database. then create the users in the new database and assign their My record to the user account.
02-06-2013 10:22 AM
02-06-2013 11:32 AM
I actually am creating this new database because we've experienced a few problems with synching over the last year and it has been a thorn in my flesh on a regular basis.
The reason I'm so set on starting afresh is because I was not the one that set this database up in the first place but it was a do it yourself type of guy that was working in accounting during the time. I would feel much more confident vouching for a system that I personally set up.
That being said -- where can I find this Service Pack 1 + Hotfix 4 download? I would like to give it a try.
Also, When I created the same contacts as the source database, I actually first imported the user records first and then went in to "manager users" > create new user > create new user from existing contact record.
Couple more things that could be of importance; There are some contacts that did receive all of the activities exported with the contact record. Put when double clicking on those activities to see details and clicking the "availability" tab, my user account always shows up under "users/resources".
Another thing that happens is when I export a group of contacts from a lookup (55 or so), in the process of exporting it usually gets stuck on "exporting notes". From there it either freezes up and doesn't respond or the exporting window just disappears before it gets to exporting activities. What's interesting about it though is this: when transfering a contact just 1 at a time, it transfers the entire record over perfectly including activities and attachments and when double clicking and going to availability it actually displays one of the other user names that I imported in from the source database. This is the only instance so far that I have gotten it to work the way it should.
I know it sounds like a handful, but is there anything else a seasoned expert might perceive to be the problem?
02-06-2013 11:42 AM
Service Pack 1, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
Hotfix 4 here:
If using Network or Internet sync services, you'll also need to update those (as per the above KBs)
You also need to do the import logged in to both databases as each user to get any private activities
It's possible that they might be something damaged in the database that requires repair
02-06-2013 11:53 AM
One other thing I just noticed that happens every time.
When exporting, when I select "export current lookup", it never copies activities. When I select export current contact, it always carries over the activities. And yes i have made sure that the contact is actually included in the lookup when exporting by lookup.