Do you mean 

Trouble with report formatting

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Trouble with report formatting

[ Edited ]

Hello:

I'm trying to build a summary report.  For activities, I have two fields:  type and type count.  The type is a detail field and the type count is a summary field.  They both have the following properties:

Can grow:  NO

Can shrink:  NO

Hide duplicates:  YES

Word Wrap:  NO

Sort is ascending order by type. 

This works, except there are huge gaps in the detail section.  It's as if it cannot compress the duplicates.  How can I make this report format correctly?

Thanks.

Message Edited by sunnydd on 05-28-2008 07:19 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author sunnydd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble with report formatting

No, you can open the report template in NotePad or WordPad to edit the XML code. Make sure you do that with a copy of the report template because it's easy to break the template if you edit the XML code directly.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tuned Listener

OK, so sometimes I am my own worst enemy.  Changing can shrink to YES fixed this issue.  Smiley Happy
Nickel Elite Contributor

It's more complex that setting the Can Shrink property to Yes. That property only applies when the field is empty. What you are seeing are activities that are processed but excluded from display by the filters used. Unfortunately the blank line still shows when the data is filtered out. There isn't any one specific thing that will avoid the blank lines and the actual resolution would depend on the formatting of the specific report template. I typically use a combination of formatting along with direct editing of the report XML code.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

Thank you.  Yes, after setting the shrink property, the blank lines are still visible.  Can you tell me how to get started editing the xml code?  Do I need the SDK to accomplish this?  I don't see any options within the report designer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sunnydd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

No, you can open the report template in NotePad or WordPad to edit the XML code. Make sure you do that with a copy of the report template because it's easy to break the template if you edit the XML code directly.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

Thanks very much.    I have been using a copy of the template just for that reason Smiley Happy
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

We have a similar issue with an opportunity report, based on the template Opportunities by customer. Obviously, in our case, data filtered out is using lots of blank space. How to get rid of that? Is there any section or keyword we should be looking in the xml code of specific report template?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks and regards

High Tech Solutions

Remco van Nierop. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Eliminating blank space in a report isn't easy, Some can be eliminated by doing a lookup before running the report and then running the report for current lookup if possible. Beyond that, there isn't any simple answer. Successfully formating a report template to minimize blank space requires an intimate knowledge of how the report engine does the formatting and, in many cases, extensive editing of the template XML code.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129