Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Treo Sync: CompanionLink- Group List issues

Treo Sync: CompanionLink- Group List issues

I am working on a db that was converted from Act v.6 to 2007 Premium ST. I have given up on ActLink and am trying CompanionLink. When I set up the sync in companionlink and go to filter the synchronization by groups, my group list consists of some actual group names but also a large portion of them are, instead, the groupID.

For instance-
Group Name:
Dale Jackson's Group

The Groups tab in Companionlink would show:
000860d7-902f-45ac-b382-d75cb3b2d05a

Has anyone else seen this? There is no functionality to fix this in ActDiag that I am aware of. I have run all the rebuilds and fixes availble.

I have talked with Companionlink many times and they state that they simply pull the grouplist component that is exposed in the SDK to populate the group list in Companionlink.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Treo Sync: CompanionLink- Group List issues

Have you tried creating a new group and copying the contacts to it?

If your Treo is a Windows mobile version you might also look at Handheld Contact to sync

I have tried that and I think it works but cannot confirm that it always works...yet. The Treo is 700p (Palm)

Problem is, we have ~3000 groups/subgroups. So, manual recreation is certainly not the desired answer.

I have heard that this is an issue that has been seen before in databases that were converted from an earlier version. This particular db was converted from v.6.

I am caught right in the middle because CompanionLink says that it uses a GroupList component from the SDK so, whatever data it provides is what they show.

Anyone aware of any group rebuild functions, utilities or SDK experts that might have a clue?

I could probably look it up, but I try to limit the time I spend of free support :-(

Try contacting a local ACC... they should be able to help with this.

If not, let me know where you are and I'll put you in touch with someone who can do the SDK changes for you

um....ok.
I am not quite as confident as you are but...

If you could look it up but don't want to do it for free, how about this- can you tell me where you would go to look it up?

Would you recommend database services? I have never had to go that route and can only imagine how ridiculously priced that might be.

Actually, if you know a developer that is an Act SDK expert, that would probably be the best bet. He/She might be able to descern where the group list component is receiving the wrong info...if indeed it is. And then, where in the data it might need fixed. I would be willing to pay for that info. I don't really care where they are located- it is irrelavant.

I am actually an ACC and quite technically savy but really don't know where to go on this one. I can see the sql tables and really find nothing odd about them or their data or indexes. I cannot legally make any back-end adjustments anyway per my Sage agreement.

This functionality would be a huge boost for my users so it is quite important. I am actually not confident that rebuilding all of the groups manually would fix the issue. I need to do more testing to prove that theory.

Thanks for your responses. If you have a reference for me they may call me or email me anytime.

Dale Jackson

Dale,

ACCs are supposed to have an ACC icon here... not sure why you don't. You might check with Melissa (she's still in charge?)

But if you post to the ACC news groups, Stan, Geoff, or someone else there might have dealt with this already

Well, let me clarify...I did not renew my ACC in December because I went to work full time with a company. I should have stated that...sorry. So...I am a recently expired ACC and everything in the previous post still applies. If you could point one of those guys to my email or phone it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you're still friends with any of the ACCs ask them to post.

Failing that, try Stan Smith at http://www.crystalclearreports.com/ or Geoff Blood at http://www.tnhg.com/

Fair enough...thanks. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

I was only an active ACC for 1 year so I did not have a chance to get to know many others. As an employee, the cost to renew just doesn't make sense.

Dale

I'm in Australia and not an ACC either (although I support many of them)... if the two I mentioned above can't help, let me know.

Another option would be to Export, fix and reimport the data. To do that and keep all the links, you need something like itImport - you can download a trial from there.

When you install, you'll need both the Export and Import functions. After the export, you can fix up the data and re-import cleanly.

This might be a bit cheaper than having something written unless someone has already done it.