Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transferring custom toolbars to other computers

Transferring custom toolbars to other computers

I want to transfer a custom toolbar to all our Act users. I followed the instructions in 
http://tinyurl.com/ysfkwv

But everytime the users starts Act the original toolbars are loaded and overwrite the ConnectedBars file. It works when I copy the entire Preferences folder, but I don't want to do that since it copies other settings and preferences too.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Transferring custom toolbars to other computers

ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199

To be honest, I haven't tried this... but maybe try updating to 10.02 or 10.02?

Of course, it won't work if any path is different between the two systems

Astute Commentator

BLURRY ICONS ON TRANSFERRED TOOLBARS

I also had created a few custom commands and toolbars on one ACT user's computer (mine) and wanted to add them to other users' computers. (I have ACT 2010.)

I copied my ConnectedBarsV12.ser file and once on the second computer (while ACT was closed) I saved over their ConnectedBarsV12.ser file.  Then I opened their ACT and voila! the custom toolbars were available.

However, the generic ACT icons that were sharp images on my computer were blurry/low-resolution on the second computer.  I double checked that the .ico image files were coming from a path name on our network that should be identical as accessed by both computers.

How do I make the transferred icons of the same quality? (I hope to find a good method before repeating this operation on all 6 computers in our office.)

Same monitor size and resolution?
Were the default icons ok?

Personally, I'd copy the ico files locally on each machine ... pulling the icos on every view change, even though small, takes unnecessary bandwidth
Astute Commentator

Thanks for your reply!

Hm, actually the custom command buttons don't work anymore either.  In order to check if it was an icon file problem, I "transferred" the ConnectedBarsV12 file with the custom toolbars onto my own computer (saved the file over the "old" one on my own computer) and the icons are blurry and the reports don't launch. 

[My screenshots are low quality, but the Service Ticket icon is supposed to look like the Customer Query icon.]

Before:

broken toolbar 2.JPG

After:

broken toolbar.JPG

I'm thinking I probably have to copy over multiple files from my C:\Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\Preferences, but I'm not sure which ones.  Like the CustomCommands.ser (most likely to be contributing to the reports not launching I'd guess) and/or DisconnectedBarV12.ser ?

I think that might be using a default icon and mean it doesn't like to read them over the network ... try using local icons

Have you tried checking the icon location or selecting it again and saving?