Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfering ACT's database to new Computer

Transfering ACT's database to new Computer

My old laptop is currently running ACT 2010 (v.12) and it is going to break-down anytime soon (hard-ware failure)

I just bought a new laptop, and I will run ACT 2011 (v.13).

What is/are the best solutions(s) to migrate my old ACT's database to this new laptop with newer version of ACT?

Thank a lot in advance!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Transfering ACT's database to new Computer

The best method for getting your database onto the new computer will be to use the built-in Backup and Restore functions within Act!.  For detailed instructions, visit this article: KB Article 19211

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

Warning -You can not back up ACT and then restore on a different version of ACT.

Options -

Install the new version of ACT on the old computer first, converet the database and then backup and restore on the new computer.

Copy all the ACT files to the new database, you will either have to Detach the databse using Actdaiag or stop the ACT7 instance. Then delete the .PAD file on the new computer and open ACT using the " Files of Type" option .ADF. ACT will create a new .PAD file and then convert the database to the new version. (This all sound very techy but is not that hard to do.)

ch1p wrote:

Hi

Warning -You can not back up ACT and then restore on a different version of ACT.

Options -

Install the new version of ACT on the old computer first, converet the database and then backup and restore on the new computer.

Copy all the ACT files to the new database, you will either have to Detach the databse using Actdaiag or stop the ACT7 instance. Then delete the .PAD file on the new computer and open ACT using the " Files of Type" option .ADF. ACT will create a new .PAD file and then convert the database to the new version. (This all sound very techy but is not that hard to do.)

Hi chp1,

Could you please summarize it into step-by-step because I am rather new to this kind of operation. Do you mean that I still have to install the newer version of Act (v.13) onto the old laptop before I can process all other things?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually ch1p, pretty sure you can restore as long as the machine has a later version of ACT! (since 2008 or 2009, I think)
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks for update Mike - I am going to test and report out come.

Chip

Bronze Elite Contributor

Tested backup ACT 2010 and Restore ACT 2011 ACT reports unable to open and then gives a number of errors. This is what I was expecting but if you have a moment Mike could you try as well?

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi ch1p,

Make sure you select Restore As, instead of Restore.  Restore allows you to restore on the same computer.  If you are doing Restore As and still getting errors, what are those errors?

Thanks

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor