Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer Database

Copper Contributor

Transfer Database

I had to take a computer off our network.  It had a drive marked Server, with the Act2012 database in it.

I backed up a copy to my external drive.  I then copied that to this computer (I had to disable SQL Server (Act7) in the process.

I completed the copy to this computer, reactivated SQL Server (Act7), opened Act, indicated name not on list, pointed to DSmiley Frustratederver Temp folder, Act2012 subfolder, then the name of my database - Redfearn2012.  It came back with an error message - The SQL database instance is unavailable.

How do I fix this?   I'm just trying to access the database from this temporary location while I set up the permanent folder on the new computer.

Silver Contributor

Re: Transfer Database

It could be several things, but the first I'd look for is that the windows firewall is either off or has an exception in it to allow act traffic.  

To test, first turn off windows firewall and see if the issue continues.  if it works. follow the steps in this article

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420/~/how-to-add-act!-by-sage-and-the-act...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Isn't there just a simple, straight forward way to move a database and work from it at that new location without all this hassle?

Copper Contributor

Plus, the database is now resident on this computer.  Would the firewall really be a factor?

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello predfearn,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Are you able to create a new database on that machine? Also, what was the method you used to move the database? Did you make a backup of the database in ACT! on the old machine , then restore it the backup (.zip) file on the new machine using the Restore As option? This is the recommended way to move an ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

No.  As I discribed in my original post, after disabling SQL Server (Act7), I copied the Act2012 database folder to an external drive then copied it from the external to this computer.

Additionally, the old computer is still available to me (it's at home).  If you can provide straight forward instructions, maybe it makes more sense to start again to transfer the database in the way you would suggest.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Also,    ActSage is already an "allowed" program in my firewall

Copper Contributor

Matter resolved.  No need to reply.  Just finally followed basic instructions and backed up to zip and restored save as.

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you physically moved the database files and included the .PAD file, then that .PAD file would no longer be valid, since it contains specific host and database location information. If this is the case, see this Knowledgebase article for instructions to recreate the .PAD file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2895...

If needed, you can attempt to move the database again per the instructions in this KB article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks very much, Greig!!