Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transaction log backups SQLServer for ACT! 2012 Premium?

Transaction log backups SQLServer for ACT! 2012 Premium?

Our environment:

ACT! Premium (Web) 2012 version 14.1.108.0 running on Windows Server 2008R2 SP1, SQLServer 2008R2 Express on same machine

We are currently performing nightly backups scheduled within the Sage ACT! Scheduler.  We've tested these backups with a 'restore as'  to a different database name and have verified we can access the restored database.  The issue we have with this configuration is that it doesn't allow us to do a point-in-time restore like we can in our other SQLServer installations.

Is it possible/supported to switch our ACT! databases to full recovery mode and do transaction log backups in addition to the full backups being performed by the ACT! scheduler job?

Thanks much for any input.

Darryl

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Transaction log backups SQLServer for ACT! 2012 Premium?

I have never seen this done with ACTs SQL tables and not sure that the design of ACT would lend its self to incremental restore. You would need the SA password of course. Try on a Demo Database first if you do want to go down this route. NB If you have sync to remotes this is not an option as you would get data mismatch.

Thanks for the reply on my question. I'm totally new to supporting the ACT! database so I apologize if my questions have been covered somewhere else. 

So nobody else using ACT! has a requirement to be able to do a point in time recovery?

Also, you mention the sa password which I would also need (or a separate sysadmin login).  Is there a process to be able to access the sa password or create new logins within the ACT! database?

thanks again.

Darryl

Bronze Elite Contributor

Will do a fuller reply when I have more time but all my clients do a nightly full backup which then keeps 5 backups - Monday to Friday and then over-rights so there are always 5 days worth of backups. This is all done with the ACT Scheduler programme. (It is optional if you want to backup the attachments with this programme.)

Was hoping you could follow up on your last update.

thanks much.

Darryl

Bronze Elite Contributor

Here is a link to using Scheduler to backup ACT

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19218/~/how-to-use-the-act!-scheduler-to-automatically-bac...

Hope this helps.

Yes,

We are currently using the scheduler and do a nightly full backup what only allows us to restore to that specific backup time. 

I was wondering if we could additionally do transaction log backups to be able to restore to any point in time as that is the standard for all our other SQLServer production databases.

So questions are:

Can we do transaction log backups and is this supported with ACT! ?

Is there a way to use sa or create a new login to be able to do transaction log backups?

Bronze Elite Contributor

This method is not supported and not recommended for ACT!

If you have sync running I can guarantee it would kill that part of the database.

Sync is replication of the ACT! database?  We definitely don't have that running.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The best way of supporting ACT with backups is the way you are using scheduler now to backup. If a problem or loss occurs in the database tis give you to options for recovery.

1 Restore the database from last backup which should only be 24 hours old. Results -  loss of  all very recent data updates.

2 Restore the last database AS option creating a 2nd database with a different name. Result - allows you to lookup lost data in recovered database and export back to current database = less loss of data.