Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tracking of leads versus opportunities

Astute Commentator

Tracking of leads versus opportunities

I am new to ACT and we are installing ACT version 10. My question - What is the best way to track "leads" versus "opportunities."

We have inside sales or telemarketers that make cold calls, do mailings, emails etc. Once some one raises their hand to get more information via response, website, referral etc we consider them a "suspect"  until they can be qualified for which product, large enough company ($$$) etc. at this point we consider them a "lead" and inside sales continues to work until the Customer is ready to discuss product (software)  

Once qualified (semi-qualified) they are given to the sales person for follow up and closing. Once they are given to the sales person to talk about the exact needs and further qualification we track through the "Opportunity pipeline" and that works great especially for forecasting.  

We currently use "assigned" to and another field to check off "suspect" versus "leads." Then use Groups to track both inside sales accounts assigned and "suspects" versus real "leads."

Do you have a sugesstion on how to track and get metrics on this activity before we use opportunities?   

Re: Tracking of leads versus opportunities

I use the task list feature to track leads. Since, at least for us, all leads start out with a phone call, I just register a phone task on the task list. When I sit down to do a phone marathon "dialing for dollars", if I right click on the task, left click on "clear task" fill in the right info. Then leftclick on "follow up" and setup the next task, whether that's another call or email. If I talk to prospect, get quote, still stays on task list. Post opportunity once we get the quote. track opportunites via opp. reports. Since the ACT report design still has a long ways to go, imho, you can't sometimes include all the data you want in a particular report. Some fields don't work on all reports - go figure. There might be some ACT whiz-kid somewhere that you can pay several thousand dollars to make work. Once opportunity closes, it moves to our accounts receivable. And if you're lucky, one day you'll get paid ;-)
Platinum Elite Contributor

I personally use the ID/Status field for this...

There are a number of ways to do this in ACT!, and maybe a chat with an ACT! Certified Consultant will find the best way for you

We're finding this process cumbersome and I'm sure I'm missing something. We receive leads via phone, email (referrals) or through Constant Contact. All require manual entering into ACT. The email and phone leads are pretty clear. They get entered into ACT and an opportunity is created and we follow through from that point.

If someone indicated interest in a product from Constant Contact, I'm not sure at what point we should enter into act. Probably after we actually touch base with them.

But then, I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a lead source report in ACT. We want a report that shows us the opportunities and where they came from. We created a Lead Source field with a drop down that's located on the main contact page but can't figure out how to include this in a sales/lead report.

I'd prefer to use the opportunity tab to track everything but can't seem to find a field that can be turned into a drop down in the Opp tab. So, how do we do this?