Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Time out message when synchronizing

Time out message when synchronizing

I have 9 users.  Each user's database is about 100MB.  When they try to synchronize, they get an error that says "Synchronization timed out, contact your administrator" (the handshake initiation never starts).  The only way to resolve this is to import each user's database to the master, then create a new database for them, then have them unpack and restore.  They are able to synchronize, but within a few days, they get the same error message.  Can anyone help?  ACT is virtually useless because of this problem.

Re: Time out message when synchronizing

What version of ACT! and type of sync (application, network, internet)?

Are any large imports being done between each sync?  How often do the remotes sync?

Copper Contributor

If you are using Internet Sync, or Network Sync it is important to note your upload/downlaod speed. A slow upload speed from your server could caues a connection timeout. You may also adjust the timeout values with ACTDAIG.

If your remote databases users have internet connection problems that could cause its. There are a number of possibilities.

For future reference, tell us the ACT version, Sync method, Server OS, Client OS, and such when asking this type of question. We will better understand your issue with more information.

Darrell Hicks
ACT! Certified Consultant/Premier Trainer
Endpoint Networks
www.endpointnet.com
Copper Contributor

I have had the same problem with all my remote users. I had to create a new main database (sage suggestion - believed my original was corrupt), new remotes and successfully synced for awhile but it has since stopped. I'm running ACT for 2008 Premium 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1; Windows XP. I do not believe it is a speed thing as we have been syncing successfully for years - I'm wondering if it is just since this hotfix? (which I updated to at the suggestion of sage support).  We are trying network sync. I've changed buffer size, tried manual syncs, changed ports. Each time something eventually works but never same thing for any given machine. Sage said that happens. I have not been successful with any changes now on two machines; one just started working after four attempts (total of three machines were having trouble)