10-21-2012 08:14 AM
Hi, I know this has been asked a few times on this forum, but none of the proposed solutions seem to have worked. We have 80 licenses of ACT premium 2012. 90% are working just fine. The other 10% (mainly visat machines) are coming up with the error: The SQL Database instance is unavailble.
The setup is a shared database on a server and all clients connect to this.
I have tried to re-install ACT a number of times, installed SP1. Tried installing SQL locally, all with no luck. The demo database on the local machine opens without an issue?
Please help if you can,
11-05-2012 10:32 AM
Ok, it looks like we solved the issue. The problem laptops were ASUS A5's with the exact same hardware. We updated the network card drivers and this seemed to allow them to connect. Weird who would have thought!
Thanks for all the help.
10-21-2012 09:39 AM
Because they are Vista machines I would check the User Access Control. If enabled either disable it or set up an exception for the ACT! program.
A quick test on one of the problem machines if to start ACT! by right clicking on the ACT! icon and chosing Run As Administrator.
10-22-2012 06:02 AM
I"m not sure from your message is the server is sending you a message that sql is not available on the server, or if sql is not starting on these workstations.
1) if you are sharing a database, you don't really need sql installed and running on the local machines to use ACT in a shared envirenment. ONly if you have a sync database.(there are a few other things that my need SQL locally, but you could easily do without)
If it's the server sal you can't access, i'm going to guess local firewall every time. Make sure it's turned off and test again.
Give me a few more details and I'll try and help more.
10-22-2012 06:08 AM
We are trying to connect to a shared SQL DB on another workstation(server) and we are not using the local SQL as you correctly pointed out. I also thought firewall may be the issue before so tested it with the firewall turned off completely. Same thing. There is no sync of the database, it's simply just ACT client connecting to shared database.
We are using ESET anti virus which has a firewall build in, but is disabled as well. I am going to try to uninstall the ESET and check the windows firewall is off and see if that works. In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
10-22-2012 06:30 AM
Uninstalling Eset is certainly a way to test the Eset firewall. For the Windows firewall we find that adding exceptions more effective than disabling it. Here is an article with exceptions to add to all firewalls: KB Article 25125
10-22-2012 06:32 AM
Don't overlook the possibility that the host computer name in the pad file cannot be resolved. Try changing (or giving the users their own pad file) the host name to the host IP address in the pad file.
10-22-2012 06:43 AM
Yes I did think of that and created a local pad file with the IP as well. No luck there. I am going to try the firewall option as soon as I can get hold of the machine from the user.
10-22-2012 07:44 AM
I have now uninstalled ESET as well as disabled the windows firewall AND set up rules as per the KB to allow ACT and it's components through the windows firewall. Still not happening.
Any other ideas?
10-22-2012 03:43 PM
Sorry for the earlier confusion on my firewall comment. I reccomend disabling firewall and antivirous for testing purposes only. easier to test than going through the process of exceptions.
beyond that, i'm not totally sure. Has it ever worked? What if anything has changed? Do the computers have the same right on the network? Can you log into the computer as another user and does it work?