Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The SQL Database is unavailable

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

The SQL Database is unavailable

Hi, I know this has been asked a few times on this forum, but none of the proposed solutions seem to have worked. We have 80 licenses of ACT premium 2012. 90% are working just fine. The other 10% (mainly visat machines) are coming up with the error: The SQL Database instance is unavailble.

The setup is a shared database on a server and all clients connect to this.

I have tried to re-install ACT a number of times, installed SP1. Tried installing SQL locally, all with no luck. The demo database on the local machine opens without an issue?

Please help if you can,

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author troyrowlands
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: The SQL Database is unavailable

Ok, it looks like we solved the issue. The problem laptops were ASUS A5's with the exact same hardware. We updated the network card drivers and this seemed to allow them to connect. Weird who would have thought!

Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Because they are Vista machines I would check the User Access Control. If enabled either disable it or set up an exception for the ACT! program.

A quick test on one of the problem machines if to start ACT! by right clicking on the ACT! icon and chosing Run As Administrator.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi

I tried this, in fact User Access Control was disabled. I still have the same problem.

Anyone other ideas?

Thanks

Silver Contributor

I"m not sure from your message is the server is sending you a message that sql is not available on the server, or if sql is not starting on these workstations.

1) if you are sharing a database, you don't really need sql installed and running on the local machines to use ACT in a shared envirenment.  ONly if you have a sync database.(there are a few other things that my need SQL locally, but you could easily do without)

If it's the server sal you can't access, i'm going to guess local firewall every time. Make sure it's turned off and test again.

Give me a few more details and I'll try and help more.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Hi Jon

We are trying to connect to a shared SQL DB on another workstation(server) and we are not using the local SQL as you correctly pointed out. I also thought firewall may be the issue before so tested it with the firewall turned off completely. Same thing. There is no sync of the database, it's simply just ACT client connecting to shared database.

We are using ESET anti virus which has a firewall  build in, but is disabled as well. I am going to try to uninstall the ESET and check the windows firewall is off and see if that works. In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Uninstalling Eset is certainly a way to test the Eset firewall.  For the Windows firewall we find that adding exceptions more effective than disabling it.  Here is an article with exceptions to add to all firewalls: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Super Contributor

Don't overlook the possibility that the host computer name in the pad file cannot be resolved.  Try changing (or giving the users their own pad file) the host name to the host IP address in the pad file.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Copper Contributor

Hi

Yes I did think of that and created a local pad file with the IP as well. No luck there. I am going to try the firewall option as soon as I can get hold of the machine from the user.

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I have now uninstalled ESET as well as disabled the windows firewall AND set up rules as per the KB to allow ACT and it's components through the windows firewall. Still not happening.

Any other ideas?

Silver Contributor

Sorry for the earlier confusion on my firewall comment.  I reccomend disabling firewall and antivirous for testing purposes only.  easier to test than going through the process of exceptions.

beyond that, i'm not totally sure.  Has it ever worked? What if anything has changed?  Do the computers have the same right on the network? Can you log into the computer as another user and does it work?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider