Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The SQL Database Command timed out.

The SQL Database Command timed out.

Hello,

Everytime we first try to connect to our database from the client machines we get the above error message. After we try again connecting again (from file one), it connects. I've noticed a few others have had this problem, but their solutions didn't help us. Also, this happens each time Act! is closed and reopend.

We've tried adding permissions and configuring the firewall  (we even tried taking it down alltogether). Another post with a similar issues.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance!

-Jon

Bronze Contributor

Re: The SQL Database Command timed out.

Have you added all the exclusions for ACT in your firewall.  I've seen this happen after a new update of either Windows or an antivirus program that is set overly protective.  There is a kB that talks about all the things you have to exclude.  It's painful to set up but usually fixes the problem.  Here's the KB. http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420/

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Yes I have and I just did it again to verify. Still the same behavior.

Bronze Contributor

That error usually means permissions or firewall.  So, if you have double checked and made sure all the exclusions are there and made sure the permissions were right, that's pretty much what you need to check.  On the permissions side, the database should not be in the administrator's My documents area.  That's where ACT will install it on a server by default.  Windows 7 and server OS's have a real problem sharing the administrators folder.  make sure it's not there.  If it is follow the directions to move an ACT database and either put it in it's own folder or even on another drive if you have one on the server.

What version of ACT are you running?

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

The ACT database files are in a folder at the root of C, so that shouldn't be an issue, right? And just want to make sure, should the firewall changes be made on client or server side? We just upgraded to ACT Premium 2012 from ACT Premium 2009. This wasn't an issue until after the upgrade.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you.