Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Dear All,

My customer has a problem when using a 3rd party add with Sage ACT1 Premium 2008 with update 10.0.03 installed.

When the customer tries to generate a new invoice using Quote / invoice maker by Exponencial Product Website ACT! Freezes and reports the following error: 

Excel Templates w/ Quote/Invoice Maker 6.1.0.0 Error Description: Global ExceptionSystem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateSet(Object o, Type& objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean OptimisticSet, CallType UseCallType) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean OptimisticSet, Boolean RValueBase, CallType CallType) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments) at Exponenciel.ExcelTemplates.modExcel.Launch_Excel(frmMain frmMain, String Template, Boolean OpenForEdition, Boolean AttachFile, Boolean UpdateContact, Boolean Increment, String AutoNumberScheme, String BypassNumber) at Exponenciel.ExcelTemplates.frmMain.Rename_and_Launch(String TemplateName, Boolean AttachFile, Boolean UpdateContact) at Exponenciel.ExcelTemplates.frmMain.Initiate_Process() at Exponenciel.ExcelTemplates.frmMain.btnOK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) ACT! by Sage 10.3.182.0”

As you can see the specific error is relating to the RPC server not being available however your KB website www.act.com only has 3 articles on the problem non of which help. I have also spoken with the Quote / Invoice Creator software creator who is confident this is not a problem caused by his software and has isolated to my customers installation.

I have noticed the problem seems to lie when opening Microsoft Excel with this product after it queries some opportunity custom fields.

So far I have tried removing Sage ACT! Premium 2008 by using Add / Remove programs and by using the Sage ACT! 2008 uninstaller from your website.

I have also uninstalled Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Plus and reinstalled both products to no avail.

System Setup

Windows Server 2003 R2 Terminal Server

Sage ACT! Premium 2008 / 10.0.3

Microsoft Office 2007

Sage Accounts 15

I hope you can help,

Thanks

Dearg

Re: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Have you tried creating a quote without using the addon?  If you don't get the error, try contacting third party.

Hello and thank you for your reply David.

I have had numerous conversations with the third party supplier and they take no responsibility for the problem blaming microsoft and Sage. howevr this confuses me because the problem only started after the upgrade from version 10.0 to version 11.0, its almost as if something within the upgrade failed however it didnt report it.

I uninstalled the third party addons before upgrading so i dont think it was caused by this however i just dont see how microsoft fit in to this problem as im not a big believer in coincidences of this size.

The customer is still in the same position and i have a tech support ticket open with microsoft so i hope it will be resolved soon.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Can you kindly walk me through the procedure that results in this issue?  Previously, I see that ACT! 10.03 was mentioned, but now there is an upgrade to 11.0 ?

I have an environment set with the trial version of the add in mentioned, so I would like to try to replicate the issue in hopes of finding a resolution.

Seems strange that the third party vendor says it isn't their problem when the error produced is specific to their application per the message window.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this in greater detail. I will try to outline as many steps as possible below in order for you to attempt the replication.

To start the customer has the same system specifications previously mentioned with Sage ACT! 10.0.3 installed on Server 2003 Terminal Services setup using Standard Microsoft RDC client to connect so nothing unusual there.

1. Uninstalled all 3rd party addons (Exponenciel Autonumbers & Quote / Invoice maker 
  2. Upgrade Sage ACT! Premium 2008 / 10.0.3 to Sage ACT! Premium 2009 / 11.0
  3. Installation confirmed as successful with no adverse warnings or error.
  4. Opened version 10 database and converted to version 11 after making a backup as suggested during the upgrade process.
  5. Logged in to database as administrator, checked the data was ok and custom fields were not in anyway lost or incorrect.
  6. Installed 3rd party addons Autonumbers / Quote invoice maker

Installation complete!

Later that day the customer logs a ticket expalining they can no longer create quotations / invoices using the 3rd party addon. Sage ACT! would freeze and lock their session meaning we would have to force them out in order to move forward.

I joined the users session and checked the process list and noticed "excel.exe" was running at 90% and when terminating the process i got the above error in my first post.

I called Sage support and they would not go any further than to check the integrity of the database using ACTDIAG etc and requested i refer the problem to the 3rd party addon manufacturer.

The response i got from Exponenciel was

This is a Windows issue that is way beyond my head. You might want to try re-booting the computer
If it does not work, then you could google "The RPC server is unavailable" you'll find a lot of documents.

I did as suggested (rebooted the server), i then proceeded to read about the RPC error on google but all i could find were articles relating to problems with DNS. I figured this was not relevent because the addon has no reason to do anything that would remotely require a DNS request, besides, i checked the DNS logs and all was ok.

Further installation steps attempted:

1. Uninstalled Sage ACT! Premium 2009 / 11.0 using the Sage ACT! uninstaller tool available on the support.sage.co.uk website downloads section.
  2. Uninstalled Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise
  3. Reinstalled Microsoft Office, Reinstalled Sage ACT! Premium 2009 / 11.0
  4. Tested - Same Result - Same error different version number at end of error.
  5. Uninstalled Sage ACT premium 2009 Again
  6. Uninstalled Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise
  7. Reinstalled Microsoft Office 2007 and this time installed Sage ACT! 2008 10.0.03
  8. Tested and again same result!

A little more about the process before getting the error.

The problem seems to be with the Opportunities. We have a number of custom opportunity fields, one of which is called "Date Hire Out", which is actually the User 1 field under opportunities and is now a date picker.

When running our custom template created in quote invoice maker this is when the error appears (After forcing Excel process to close of course).

I have further tested the template on a test enviornment with version ACT Premium 2009 and office 2007 enterprise and it works flawlessly so that rules out the template being corrupt.

Further communication back and forth with exponenciel continued however nothing new was learnt so i thought i would take advantage of our microsoft Action pack subscription and log a business critical support request with microsoft howeevr some Red needs to be completed before this can start.

I hope you have enough information with the above, thank you again for your help, its very much needed and appreciated.

Dearg

Re: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA

I just upgraded to 2011 and the after an hour of "updating" the first thing I did was go to a contact and click on the email address field link. I got this message:"Exception from HRESULT:0x80040200"

I haven't had great luck with Act since Act! 6.

Any ideas? It does the same thing on a second computer I loaded the trial on.

Copper Elite Contributor

Are you accessing this using a Terminal Server session?

Do you have a default printer set up for the user logged in?  I have sometimes found RPC errors point to printing issues.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

Technology Transfer Services

(813) 908-1100 x231

(603)767-3693 (m)

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Dosbelt,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

In addition to pointing to printing issues, this error message can be associated with ACT! being integrated with Outlook.  Have you set up ACT! to use Outlook as the email system?  If yes, what version of Office/Outlook are you running?

Greg Martin
Sage