Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Template Renaming Bug

Template Renaming Bug

I posted this in my thread Titled My Problems with ACT! Premium 2012 as well.

After installing Sage ACT! 2012 Premium SP1 the Template renaming bug is back.

I.E. Template named "LLD Test" will be renamed "LLD Test 2011-09-28 22-28-36" The numbers after the name are the time and date of the sync. This would be ok if you could simply change the name back to its original. However, these name changes are not always pushed to the remote databases. This brings up another problem, in that when syncing multiple remote databases, the files begin to duplicate. For instance I have 22 copies of "LLD Test xxxx-xx-xx xx-xx-xx", and that’s after 24 hours, with two remote databases.

I have created a new Database, using "Save Copy As". While testing the template bug, I found a new one.

My database is far, far to customized to create a new database from scratch.

If you add a template to the publisher database, it does not sync to the remote database, at least not on the first sync after adding it.

That triggers the bug on the new file and here we go again.

I have also tried removing all the templates, and then re-adding them. This does not work either.

Step By Step

First: Created a "Save Copy As" Database. I left 4 templates that would need "changes".

Created a Remote Database, and synced No changes or edits have been made at this point.

Sync Results: Sync completed, no changes made

Conclusion: The databases are in sync.

Changed the name of two templates, one on the publisher database (File A), and one on the Remote database (File B). ACT! was open on both computers during the changes.

Sync Results: The changed template on the Master database didn't apply to the Remote database (File A). The changed template on the remote database did apply to the Master database (File B).

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I made no changes, edits, or deletions - synced again.

Sync Results: The template that the remote database changed on the Master database (File B) synced back to the Remote database as a file+date template (File C).  The Master database template (File A) was deleted from the remote database, but still showed on the Master database.

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Opened the Master database templates folder, moved all the templates to a new folder outside the ACT! hierarchy. I renamed them and made edits as needed. I left the templates folder empty, and synced.

Sync Results: The template folder on the Master database, stayed empty. The template folder on the Remote database emptied.

Conclusion: The databases are in sync

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Moved the templates back into the Master database, and synced

Sync Results: The templates from the Master database, synced to the Remote database. All the templates on the Master database were deleted.

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync. It seems like the master database synced its changes and then the Remote synced its changes. So the master databases templates were copied to the Remote database. Then the Remote databases deletions (from the previous sync) were transferred to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Moved the templates back into the Master database again, and synced

Sync Results: One template was deleted from the Remote database. No changes to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Synced

Sync Results: No Change. The Remote database is still missing a template. No change to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I removed the Master template that was missing from the Remote, outside the Master databases hierarchy. Synced

Sync Results: No Change. File was manually removed before sync

Conclusion: The databases are in sync. Operator manually made the file sync.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I moved the Master template that was missing from the Remote database, back to the Master database's template folder. Synced

Sync Results: Missing file synced to the Remote database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I made a copy of one template on the Master database. Synced

Sync Results: Copied file synced to the Remote database.

Final Conclusion: The Databases stay in sync so long as the databases are open when changes are made.

So if one of my employees decides to change a name, without ACT! open, all the remote databases will start bugging out, again.

I now have 22 Remote databases (as opposed to the 2 I had in the original post) that sync at intervals of every 2 hours up to once every six months.

If I have to go through even half of these steps to get them to sync correctly, what’s the point of having the templates in ACT!.

It would be easier to set up a public folder in dropbox.

Any ideas? Planed fixes?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Template Renaming Bug

Yes, I am seeing the renaming problem with 14.1.108 Premium.

Also suffering from disappearing or 0kb Word templates.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Me too...I'm running 14.1.108.0. hot fix 3 and am having the same trouble with Act deleting all the templates from server and/or remotes when we sync. After the absolute disaster I had with the exponential file syncronisation error associated with updating templates I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this poorly sorted out program.

What I want to know is how do I stop ACT deleting all the templates from the Master database when I syncronise?

[ Edited ]

I have resorted to using the following work around.

The Master templates and layouts are kept on a cloud server. (Nomadesk, Dropbox, Box.com, Company FTP, ect . . .)

Every hour the server the publisher database resides on, and the remote computers,  will attempt to mirror the cloud server's templates and layouts.

Files not on the Cloud Server are deleted. This eliminates the duplicates and the file renames.

Using this method has "fixed" the file duplication and deletion errors.

Its not perfect. However, its much better than the screwy way ACT syncs the templates and layouts.

Just FYI I don't use the ACT attachments either. They are also kept on a cloud server, and we use dpFolders to access them in ACT.

I stopped using ACT's version of attachments after it failed its nightly backup, because the attachment file names were to long

(255 char limit)

ACT! Renames attachment that have same name, but when you have over 13000 attachments you end up with attachments with this for a name:

1200-49028-Shop & Go-Self Cert_8-07 f689b194-31bf-494d-b7a3-38e27aeb9a8a 473d55a0-5a0d-463d-9883-078efce22173 919ef4ef-51c9-430c-885f-c51ffd85337

That's 146 characters, Its also the actual filename.

So, as you can see I'm accustomed to finding work arounds for act.

Let me know if this helps.