Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRANSFER DATABASE PROBLEM

TRANSFER DATABASE PROBLEM

I recently received a new computer and wanted to transfer ACT! to the new laptop. I copied the ACT 17 file from my old laptop and used it to install ACT on the new laptop. Install seemed to run fine and the sample databases work fine on the new computer.

I did a backup on the old laptop of my database on to an external hard drive. Now I have tried both "Restore and Restore As" to load the new database into my new laptop. The restore as fails and I get a screen full of issues.

Why can I not get the new data base to install and load to the new laptop? 

Employee

Re: TRANSFER DATABASE PROBLEM

Hi,

Can you let me know the old version of act you have, the current version of act you have installed and also if possible can you let us know how you took the backup?

Act! Pro Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 1 this is the version on my old laptop.

Act! Pro Version 17.1,169.0 is the version on my new computer.

I simply use the File, Backup, Database to do the transfer backup.

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Contributor

It sounds like the file backup didn't write correctly to the external drive. Have you tried doing another backup from the old computer?  If that doesn't work, you can try the brute force way to move it.   This KB talks about how to do that. Painful, but it is a good last resort. http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23392/kw/move%20database%20actdiag/related/1

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Employee

Hi,

Please let us know on the progress!!

I think i have seen this big error message you are taking about. 

Incase if it fails send a screenshot of the error!!

No luck. I backed up the original file again and still received the same error when I try to restore as.

Here is the error

Act Error.jpg

Employee

Hi,

Can you try to 2 steps below so i can confirm the issue.

1. Try to create a new database and ensure you are able to open the database. Also please check in services.msc that SQL server act7 and sql server browser are started and running as local service.

If the above steps works i.e, creating anew database then try step 2

2. The .zip file backup, if you extract it you will find a .bak file inside a backup folder. Attach the larger sized .bak file to actdiag.

How to attach .bak file to actdiag?: Open actdiag(Windows+R and in cmd type actdiag) and in tools option you will find restore database and restore .bak file as. Use this option and check if the database is getting attached to actdiag->database-->database list

thank you.

Will wait for your update!!