Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

System out of Memory Exception

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: System out of Memory Exception

Just joined this thread - you say you receive the error between contact detail and list view.  How many fields do you have showing in the list view on the machines throwing the error vs. those not throwing the error?

(sorry if this has been suggested already - when encountering these 1 off types of things I try to compare software, computer, use, etc for those that work against those that don't).

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

Having suffered with the same problem described here, for 6 months, and thinking I had an install error, I uninstalled everything and started fresh today.  I have the same issues everyone else, "system, outofmemoryexception'  Occurs when going from list to detail view.  I also receive it , but infrequently, when adding notes, especially if I add notes to more than 5 contacts in succession. 

ACT 2010 is not connected to Outlook

Problem happens regardless of what else is open on the PC

Local install only on PC

Running XP, 4Gb RAM

Having read the entire thread I see no resolutions provided but a lot of rudimentary questions, as I find in most of these threads. 

Older versions were much more stable. 

Could someone, anyone, post a fix to this problem and dispense with the basic questions about system, number of fields in the  view, etc.  These types of questions indicate either a lack of knowledge of how to fix the issue, or a futile attempt to get a short consulting gig, which is not the purpose of these forums

I am especially intrigued by the individual who posted that they have been working with Sage / Act for months to solve the problem with no resolution.  What have they tried to fix the issue?

Would a larger swap file solve the problem?

I'm getting the message when importing a large volume of Contacts and associated notes.  I'm running 2011 Premium directly on a server ( a virtual machine).  The  database and the import file are local on the server.

I forgot to add... I'm running alone on that server and, when I get the message the Import stops dead in its tracks.Smiley Sad

Copper Super Contributor

Can you split up your import?  Years ago I had a massive (20,000 contacts) CSV file and the system would freak out.  I decided to take some time and split up the import into several smaller files (1000 each or so..), and ACT handled it much better..

Copper Contributor

After dealing with level 1,2,& 3 tech support & even getting some help from the pogrammers for over 1 year and 1/2 nothing was ever resolved. Our Company decided to upgrade our computers to Win7 64-bit, Intel Xeon processors, 6GB of ram and since then we have not had the error. I don't for sure if it was either the Win 7 or the upgraded ram that eliminated the error, but I'm glad it's gone now!

-Alex
Serenity Group Insurance
Platinum Elite Contributor

Because Windows, not ACT!, manages memory it likely was the system upgrade and I would guess an increase in RAM.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

True, but ACT! is built on the .NET framework which provides many controls into the memory management of an application. Still seems like something ACT! developers could handle better, since its a hard failure.
Platinum Elite Contributor