Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

System out of Memory Exception

System out of Memory Exception

[ Edited ]

All of my sales team is now having this error as well and there seems to be nothing that can be done to fix it other than possibly upgrade to a bigger machine?

Is there some Windows configuration that some have found to work? A certain version of .Net - patched or not?

It only seems to be power users getting it, but they seem to get it many times a day. Others who don't use ACT nearly as much throughout the day don't seem to have problems. XP Pro 4 GB of RAM (only 3. something usable.) ACT 12.1.181.0

The sales people are about to throw their computers out the window because of this problem and I feel helpless since Sage doesn't seem to want to do anything about it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: System out of Memory Exception

Hello schester,
I'm sorry to hear of the error you and your team are experiencing in ACT! 2010. Since this is the first time you have posted regarding this error, please provide some additional information as to when your users experience the error, how often, and the exact error message they are receiving.

Please note that I have created a new thread for your post since the original thread is nearly 2 years old and has many posts.

Thanks,

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am getting this error when I try to print 500 or more postcards.

The Print Menu will come up, the counter at the bottom right will count up to 200 very quickly then it slows down to a turtles crawl.

Usually, somewhere around 450 or so, I will get this error and it will all stop.

I am not running any more names or addresses than before so I don't know why this would happen all of  a sudden.  I even took

out all contacts that were already in the database.  Before, I would print 4,000 - 6,000 without a problem.

A last step was I uninstalled ACT and the SQL Server and re-installed, still the same problems.

Sorry for the delay in responding. My problems are identical to those in the original post which is why I posted it there. http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/System-out-of-Memory-Exception/td-p/66166 Users can have problems 5 or more times a day which require a reboot of the entire computer or a force restart of act. We now have a log of all the problems our users are having which I will try to post here. In most cases it is the system out of memory exception. This happens to users on their windows xp pro machines which 4 gb of ram as well as our win 2003 terminal server. The problems seem to get worse as we have more and more users utilizing act. The load on our act server, which houses just act and QuickBooks, no file or print services other than required for above, no domain controller functions, no remote users, has 12 gb of ram and at worst seems to have memory available over 60%. Users on new pcs seem to have the same problems, and it seems to impact all users after they have used act for long enough in one session. Clearing out the history/queue seems to help a minor amount, but doesn't solve the problem in any fashion. We need to find a solution, or switch to another program as this is incredibly slowing down productivity and costing the company an immense amount.

Not sure why the forum stripped the paragraphs out of my last post - guess another problem to chalk up to the ACT community...

Here is the log from the past few days.

DateTimeRepDescription Error MessageSolution
5/15/127:49 AMPGACT taking way too long to close out dialer, etc. - - -ACT Reboot
5/15/126:45 AMSRACT has delayed reactions, freezes and shut down by itself, screen goes white- - -ACT Reboot
5/15/127:15 AMSRACT has delayed reactions, freezes and shut down by itself, screen goes whiteNot RespondingACT shut down by itself
5/15/127:30 AMSRACT has delayed reactions, freezes and shut down by itself, screen goes whiteNot RespondingACT shut down by itself
5/15/128:05 AMSRACT has delayed reactions, freezes and shut down by itself, screen goes white - - -ACT Reboot
5/15/1210:04 AMRHACT shutdown itself“System.nullreferenceexception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object as Act.UI.TAPI.TapiManager.Commandhandler(String commanded)” / “the application has encountered an error and has been shut down.” - - - 
5/15/129:43 AMBAPACT crash while trying to save note, and it froze after trying to save for too long- - - ACT Reboot [CTRL, ALT, DEL]
5/15/1212:42 PMRHACT shutdown itself“System.nullreferenceexception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object as Act.UI.TAPI.TapiManager.Commandhandler(String commanded)” / “the application has encountered an error and has been shut down.”ACT would not open back up
5/16/127:00 AMBAPFrozen - - -Computer Reboot
5/16/127:12 AMNRFrozen - - -Computer Reboot
5/16/128:05 AMPGFrozen (dialer)"Not responding"ACT Reboot
5/16/129:20 AMPGACT taking way too long to close out dialer"Not responding"ACT Reboot
5/16/1212:55 PMJNFrozen"Not responding"ACT Reboot
5/16/122:06 PMJNAct has delayed reactions   - - - Just waited for it to respond
5/17/128:40 AMBAPACT froze computer, then the computer down completely, went to a blue screen after freezing, then black---Computer shut down by itself
5/17/129:45 AMDPThe last several minutes the system began to lag.  Each command was taking 30 seconds to go through.  Then it just locked up with an error and a pop-up box.“The application has encountered an error and has been shut down.  Would you like to report?”Computer Reboot
5/17/12All dayAAACT has delayed reactionsWhile trying to look up contacts and selct them from a list it at least took 20-30 seconds to pull up each one - - -
5/17/121:15 PMDPACT locked up with an error and asked if I wanted to close the program.- - - ACT Reboot
5/17/124:15 PMDPACT shutdown itself"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." - - -
5/18/126:40 AMBCACT gave error message & shut downError- History could not be created. One or more of the contacts or associations have been deleted - - - 
5/18/127:42 AMPGACT delay & then crash"Not responding"- - - 
5/18/128:30 AMPGACT delay   - - - ACT Reboot
5/18/128:42 AMPGACT delay & then crash"Not responding"- - - 
5/18/129:39 AMPGACT delay & then crash"Not responding"Computer Reboot
5/18/1210:42 AMVDACT delay when researching for company, contact, etc- - -  - - - 
5/18/122:10 PMJNACT delay & then it froze- - - ACT Reboot

This has really got to be ridiculous.  I have called ACT many times since after emailing them,

they keep insisting on this.  They won't and they don't and they refuse to answer any question

whatsoever.  Instead, they just insist that I call even though I tell them that I am calling from Japan.

When I do call, you have to go through about 10 minutes of prompts and waiting.  When somebody

finally does pick up the phone, they ask you so many questions about yourself, they ACT program that

you are using and you computer only to be transferred to somebody else where not only are you put

on hold for 10 - 15 minutes again but the same questions all asked again.  One time, they even transferred

me to somebody in the Philippines for some reason.

You never get your answer, many times you will be disconnected and in my case where my Support

Membership has run out, they want $299 for a one time answer.  This is after doing the above scenerio

for 3 days in a row.

I have insisted that when I did have support, I used to have to go through the same scenerio as above

so I asked them that if I paid the $299, would they give me the direct number to the person that knows

the answer and could they guarantee me that they had the answer waiting.

No matter who I spoke with, nobody could me a straight out "yes".

I am not paying $299 for a one time answer especially when they can't even guarantee me

that they know the answer yet.

From the very beginning, I have been screwed around with Support from ACT.

I am very frustrated and angry at this company for that.

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Recently (4/20/2012) upgraded to Sage ACT! product ACTPRM2012UPL

Also am a subscriber to Sage ACT! Connect

Account#4001508254

Since upgrading, I have never had a fail-safe experience in being able to

manually attach e-mails from OUTLOOK to an ACT! contact recird like I had

before.

Then last week, I keep getting the following error whther or not I have OUTLOOK open.

Exception of type 'SystemOutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

The that worked for awhile was to close out ACT@ through Task Manager.

Now I have to reboot my machine EVERY time I need to use ACT!

I refuse to enter into a support agreement for items that should be functioning

properly as advertised with the new product.

I spent big bucks on ACT? Premium for Web which never worked for remote access after buying a years worth of service and countless hours of consultation on the phone.

Help!

Craig Morrison

352--317-8992

craig.morrison@ingfp.com

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greig,

You have to admit, this is ridiculous. ACT does not properly manage memory, once my sales reps go thru a hundred accounts over the course of half a day, ACT throws the exception error. ACT ends up using 2+ or even 3+ gigs of ram. Some people have to reboot or close/reopen ACT one time a day (win 7, i3/i5, 4GB), some have to do the process 2-3 times a day if they cycle thru more accounts.

Is Sage ever going to actually fix this issue or just say you need a bigger computer with more ram???

Phil

Copper Contributor

Any updates to this issue?

ACT! Sage, PLEASE RESPOND!!!   We are getting this error also, on both XP and Win7 machines... usually happens when we go into the customer list to find the customer, then click to add a note for the client...