Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synology and ACT

Copper Contributor

Synology and ACT

I'd like Synology to host our ACT DB (mysql ACT 7)--- and have moved the ADF and ALF--but the database files cannot move..so I am stumped.

Our goal is to share this database beween 3 staffeers (local and remote)..and not use it with HImachi anymore (too many disconnects)

I have been assured that synolgy will be great for this...just need some guidance.

We have ACT2011 Premium

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Synology and ACT

You will need to shut down the ACT7 instance of the SQL Service to properly move the ADF, ALF and database files directory.  I would move all of them at the same time.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Yes we did it and changed the PAD file...so now I open ACT locally and it uses the DB on Synolgy...

BUT....

1 /will we need to chnage the PAD file on all our teams computers as well?  I want to be sure all data is synced..

2/ can we all access the db at the same time

I noticed that my layout has chnaged back to the green basic style insted of what I was using previoulsy...why is that?

Thank you!

Silver Super Contributor

If you want your users to open the same database you are opening you will need to send them that pad file.

Yes you can all access the same database at the same time as long as you're on the same network.

There is a dropdown on your toolbar that shows the layout you are using.  If you didn't copy the database files folder over you didn't copy the layouts folder over either.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Re: Synology and ACT--THANK YOU

yes..i think we messed up....  when I now open ACT (from the synology DB)

the pad file reads like this

<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="AMG2014_update" host="AMG-6-30-12-AL" location="C:\backupfileact" type="Sql" />

the host  shows my laptop and the location is also my laptop

shouldnt host be synology?

it seems that if we shut off the laptop, it all breaks. My simple goal is to have synology host the DB

Silver Super Contributor

The Synology will need to be set up as an iSCSI device and then the host will be whatever machine is running SQL server and pointing to the Act! database on the Synology.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

stupid question...I guess...

but....this PC must remain on--so no one loses the connection--right

also... did yoiu see the PAD file?  is it incorrect for what we seek to do?

Silver Super Contributor

Yes.  Whatever PC you have SQL running on accessing the Act! database must stay on all the time.

With that PAD file your laptop has to be on all the time.  Most people just install Act! on a server and then use that SQl to access the database on the Synology.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Thank you.  I guess since Synology cannot run ACT program...we cant do this?  Thanks for the information.  My simple goal was not to run a PC as a server.

Or with Iscsi on synolgy can this be done??

Until yesterday, we had ACT and DB on a PC in a closet....which we accessed with LOGmein  Himachi...but this seems to be very unstable...Synolgy has been great for hosting our documents and I was told it would be great to host act DB too....

Now I am not too certain

Silver Super Contributor

No the Synology cannot run the Act! program or Microsoft SQL currently.  I suspect it will be quite a while before it does.  You would still need to run Act! and SQL on a different system and keep the databases on the Synology.  iSCSI let's you put the SQL database on the Synology but it doesn't let you put Microsoft SQL on the Synology.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com