Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Syncronization timed out....

Copper Contributor

Syncronization timed out....

[ Edited ]

OK....I'm going insane trying to keep sync's working.  Was working fine....started getting errors on server.  Installed 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1 from the full install (got link from ACT support).  After much trial and even more error(s) it finally started syncing to one remote DB....but not the others.  I get this error when I start the sync:  Server Error Description:  Syncronization timed out.  Contact your administrator for assistance.

I've read every thread I can find....here is what I've done/checked.

Removed ACT and re-installed from full version (ACT and network sync) on server.

Removed ACT and re-installed full version on remote.

Changed timeouts from default 30 to 60.

Rebooted.

Same error.

Remotes:  I'm doing a network sync from the remote.  The remotes VPN into our network.  I can ping the host (using name or internal IP address) from the remote after VPN'ing in.  I can telnet into the host from the remote with the default port 65100 using either host name or internal IP address.

On network:  I'm getting the same error on a sync'd database attached to the same network.  So I guess it isn't the VPN.

If I start the sync, it times out approximately 30 seconds later using either host name or internal IP address.  (Did my timeout change not work?....shouldn't it timeout at 60?)  (Yes, I've checked with Actdiag and it shows 60 and I've rebooted and restarted SQL server).  I also tried shutting down the Network sync on the server, setting Accept Incoming Syncs....same error.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by craigf on 11-14-2008 11:58 AM
Message Edited by craigf on 11-14-2008 12:23 PM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Syncronization timed out....

Have you updated your remote pc's to 10.0.3. All computers and their associated databases need to be on the same build.

Would suggest you consider engaging or at least talking to a local ACT! certified Consultant. Sync with 10.0.3 and Version 11 is much improved and generally very reliable, just a matter of know how to do it and what the commom configuration issues are. Talking with someone who does it regularly in the field will get you to a resolution quickest.

Cheers, 

Darren Flood
ACT! Certified Consultant
Evolution Marketing;
ACT! Software
& CRM Consultants - Australia
Copper Contributor

Re: Synchronization timed out....

You didn't mention if you have run check and repair maintenance on the master and the remotes.

If not, it's definitely worth a try.

Chuck Wettish
cwettish@kenbarllc.com
Copper Contributor

All versions are running ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1.  I've done a check and repair on both ends.
Copper Contributor

OK....on the remotes that aren't working they ARE seeing the server and starting the sync process.  On the server sync log I get:

Then the remote is timing out with the earlier error.

Copper Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved?  I'm in the same loop right now myself.  Driving me crazy!  I'm running same hotfix version, on Windows XP

We had a sync timeout on version 10. Took a while to get to the bottom of it but it turned out to be after one of the users did a mail merge to 1000 records she attached it to each record, so every record had an attachment of 71mb creating a total document file of 14gb, this was to large to sync so the remote users timed out.

Have you done any mail merges recently?

Copper Contributor

No, no mail merges. I did contact Sage Support again yesterday.  We increased the time out setting on the framework config from 30 to 120. I then got server out of memory errors. I had to keep changing buffer size on same config until it took. If at any point, I got the time out message again instead of out of memory, they told me to up the time out setting - entire thing would be a balancing act (no pun intended). It was all pretty strange since everyone was syncing successfully so why I had to make changes now is not clear to me. So, one person did sync successfully, the other just told me it failed (though he neglected to note the reason why, so he has to redo). Apparently, I am not done yet.

Thanks for your response. 

Astute Commentator

I am experiencing the very same thing - three users from two locations training to sync to remote file server. One can sync at the locations with two users and the other user on this network and the other user from another location can not. I am getting a server timeout no mention of schema

I have run database maintenance on all systems and all are on same version. I am starting to work with time outs to see if I can get some relief.

One thing that could have caused it MAYBE - On the system that can sync I ran a utility that upgraded linked contacts from companies. This updated 20,000+ records on the local machine. This computer synced successfully on the file server and updated all records. This is the only computer that can sync done with the file server

Copper Contributor

We were getting the same issue all the time. We have 40 some remote users of which would call me and tell me sync timed out error. If I go in and look at sync report the data that is trying to send to that user is very large or they have not sync'd in forever and there is a ton of data waiting to sync to them.

I since have set up there databases to auto sync daily if they are in. I also watch how many updates we make at one time to the database. So far these 2 changes have cut down on the amount of times someone would call in with this error. I went round and round with act helpdesk to fix this problem. 

I have also noticed that even though 2 users are getting the same amount of files sent to them but one is on a high speed connection and other is in a hotel with slow connection that also causes a problem, high speed connection worked while slower speed in hotel timed out. When user did get home they were then able to sync it.