Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Syncing 2 laptops with ACT Premium 2013

Syncing 2 laptops with ACT Premium 2013

I’ve upgrade our sales software from ACT Pro 2011 to ACT Premium 2013 to allow me to sync two laptops.

I’ve merged the old databases, cleaned the master up and converted it to 2013 format (that took some work!)

So I now have one clean master database on my laptop Smiley Happy

It seems there are several ways to set syncing up and I’m unsure which is best to sync two laptops that may not be on at the same time.

Many years ago I used to sync ACT using emailed “packets” (V5 days!) I can’t tell if we can do this with this version.

I've had a look at this and I'm none the wiser Smiley Mad

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30305/~/how-to-use-the-remote-synchronization-setup-...

Can anyone tell me the simplest way to do this please!?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Syncing 2 laptops with ACT Premium 2013

Let me describe the major difference between ACT! 5 synchronization and now. The V5 sync packets are no longer used so sync by email can't be done. The V5 sync was master driven so a remote could have multiple sync packets pending (bad). The present sync requires a direct connection between the remote and master for sync to take place.

This may help your understanding of the KB you referenced. The direct connection between the remote and the master can be a LAN connection or via a VPN or the Internet. The VPN connection can be direct or it can be via a third party provider like Hamachi (do a kb search for Hamachi)..

While the sync setup isn't hard it can be confusing so you might want to contact an ACT! Certified Consultant to help with the setup. You've actually done the hardest part by combining the databases into one master database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy

I was hoping to avoid VPN's as we are both in rural areas with ~2MB connection speeds Smiley Sad

Hosting might be the way to go i guess?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Trying to use the ACT! program direct over any VPN is a bad idea. However syncing via VPN should work even with a slow connection speed though you likely should not include attachments.

If you want to discuss options further you can contact me direct.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Well I took Roys advice and finally got Hamachi to do it over my own local network last week.

Toook a bit of messing but yesterday I got it working over the networks between the to locations

Thank you Smiley Happy

Now I just need to work out why the other use can't set tasks for me Smiley Frustrated