Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing a remote database that is shared on a server

jsk
Astute Commentator

Synchronizing a remote database that is shared on a server

I recently installed ACT! 2012 onto our server running microsoft server 2008 r2 standard. I unpacked the remote database onto this server and shared it across the network.

I have 3 other desktops on the same network at this facility running on Windows 7 64 bit, they all have access to this shared .pad file. I am able to access and open the .pad file but I am having trouble synchronizing the remote database.

I would like to use one of the 3 computers running windows 7 to sync to our main server if possible but keep running into the same error message "The SQL Database instance is unavailable. Contact your administrator for assistance"

I have looked through answer id 25726 and can't seem to figure out what to do.

First off, is it possible to have a remote database unpacked onto one computer but sync from a seperate computer sharing that remote database?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronizing a remote database that is shared on a server

Hello jsk,
Which sync service are you using on the server (Network, Internet, or Application)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Elite Contributor

And, yes you can sync a shared remote from a client machine. Are you able to sync the remote locally on the server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

We are taking a look at your situation to see if we can reproduce, though if could please give us more info on what type of sync you are using it will be helpful.

Bronze Elite Contributor

There should not be any problem having a remote database on a server that is then shared around a number of client PCs.

You should be able to initiate sync on the remote database from any connected machine back to the publishing database on the main server but you may need to right click on the PC when opening ACT and run as administrator.

Firstly though does the remote database sync when activated on the server itself?

If so why  not use the Scheduler program to automatically run sync directly from the server?