Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing Databases Configured with SQL 2005 and SQL 2008

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Synchronizing Databases Configured with SQL 2005 and SQL 2008

We have three ACT! databases that will be synchronized remotely.  Two have ACT! installed and configured via SQL 2005; one will be configured via SQL 2008. 

Does anyone know if there will be a problem synchronizing databases that are used with different versions of SQL?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author huntress
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Databases Configured with SQL 2005 and SQL 2008

Hello huntress,

The server and any remote machines that sync to it will all need to have the same version of SQL installed.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author huntress
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello huntress,

The server and any remote machines that sync to it will all need to have the same version of SQL installed.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

Thank you!  I had the feeling that this would be the case.  I have SQL 2008 running as a requirement for another application.  Do you happen to know if I install SQL 2005 for ACT! 2010, will there be any conflicts with two different versions of SQL running?

I'm new to ACT! and have been an Outlook person, but I'm a convertSmiley Happy

I don't believe you can have SQL 2005 and 2008 on the same machine, at least not without problems. I would go ahead and use SQL 2008 for ACT!. The following Knowledgebase articles may be of some assistance to you:

How to Upgrade an Existing ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 ACT7 instance to Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 (to upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008)

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance  (if your server is currently using SQL 2008 Standard edition)

If you need SQL 2008 Express for your client machines, here is the download from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/express.aspx

Greig Hollister

Astute Commentator

Thank you, again, for the information.  So to recap:  I can install SQL 2008 for the ACT! 2010 Premier on the laptop and then still have ACT! installed on two other machines that use SQL 2005.  The synchronization will work, obviously for the two SQL2005 databases, but I won't have problems synchronizing the SQL 2008 database back to either of the SQL 2005's??

Sorry for the repeat of information.