Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing Data Bases

Tuned Listener

Synchronizing Data Bases

I and someone else will be going off the same server and we need to synchronize our databases.  However, are user fields are not exactly the same and want to ensure that it won't interrupt how we individually have them set up.  We do however want to make sure that notes/activities do mesh with the company/contacts, as to not duplicate work.  Can someone help?

Silver Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Data Bases

You can not sync two disparate databases.  They have to be born of the same mother ship database.  The stepe you would need to do would be to mertge the two databases together, then from that merged mother shop database, you could create a sync database and set up sync.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Then if we merge, how does that effect how we each have our user fields set up.  Do they have to be duplicate user fields.  She has user fields that I don't have and vice versa.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Create a new database with both sets of fields, then merge both databases into it and create new remotes from it
Tuned Listener

so, I create a new database with all required fields that we need and them I can create remotes with each individual user name and their individual pass word?

My next question is if data entry on calls made are being placed into diffrent tabs, can we merge that?  She puts her data entry into history and mine goes into notes.  I leave history to ck on any changes made to the profile, emails sent, etc....Also, we do have duplicates of the same companies, will that information merge?

So far, you have been so helpful, thanks so much.

Tuned Listener

How would we merge two databases together, without affecting our design layout?

You'll probably need to re-do that also so it handles the elements of both data sources ... it's cleaner that way, anyway
Tuned Listener

But we have the same fields but in diffrent places, and it is imperative that they stay that way

Well, you can use two layouts (or even the ones you have) ... but you'll need to remove and re-add the fields (mainly any custom ones) as they won't be in the order they were before
Tuned Listener

If we are going end up going off a server, should we just start a new database and incorporate the fields and then export our data from each indivudual and then import onto new data base and create remote users, whith all contacts and notes meshed together --but only being able to see our own acitivies.  I don't want to lose scheduled activites I have -- I and her have both our own user name and password, with a new database how can we insure that meetings/calls are not affected for future dates when we log in after merge, so to say---can we use our same user name and password?