Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronize PDA in Citrix/Terminal Server environment

Copper Contributor

Synchronize PDA in Citrix/Terminal Server environment

How does one synch to a PDA in a citrix/terminal server environment w/ ACT! Prem v. 11?  Do they connect to the pda via usb cable connected to the thin client that connects to the terminal server, just as they would connect the pda to a desktop w/ act on it?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronize PDA in Citrix/Terminal Server environment

I don't kown if any of the USB connections work under Citrix, I don't think they do.

I use Handheld Contact to a Blackberry, which syncs wirelessly without any problem to multiple users

Bronze Elite Contributor

USB direct connect based solutions are not client - server technologies. MS Activesync, the synchronising component in the Pocket PC world runs on the local machine and can't redirect to a server. The only way is to have the workstation with a local database  synchronise to ACT! running on the Terminal Server. The disadvantage is that you have to breakout of your Terminal server session to the local desktop environment to sync via USB to your pda device. That means if you are running Outlook through a Terminal Server session you do not have the advantage of integration of ACT! with Outlook which is a major benefit you miss out on. If your users are IT saavy you could run ACT! in a Terminal Server session plus have it locally installed to synch to ACT! on the Terminal Server. You could even have Outlook installed client side running in cache mode and integrated with ACT! on the client. Then Outlook integration would be complete and it would work for ACT! and Outlook...Warning however, users can get very confused...:-)

I guess if you could try a Bluetooth connection instead of USB to Activesync running on Terminal Server... Haven't tried it but would be fun to see if it would work if you were within Bluetooth range of the server..:-)      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thank you for all of the input.  I'll have to take into consideration the issues you pose with potential solutions and see where the client wants to go.

Deb Henderson

Northeast Computer Training

dhenderson@necomputertraining.com

www.necomputertraining.com

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yup - basically it's sync to a local system and then a USB link is possible or Handheld Contact directly on the server and Blackberry or Windows Mobile device.

HHC makes it much easier to adminster and control multiple users... even the install can be done wirelessly