Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization exponentially increasing database size

Tuned Listener

Synchronization exponentially increasing database size

I've now seen this 3 times while working with 2 different clients. Synchronization starts to take hours to complete, data isn't transferred and eventually sync will stop working. Meanwhile in the background the database begins to double in size every time a sync is attempted. By the end of a week of attempted bad syncs the database is 10-40 times larger than it should be.

This latest case caused the database ADF file to grow from less than 1GB to 35GB and the ALF to grow from 0.5GB to 7.6GB.

When reindexing the database you can litterally watch the file size go up as well. This is clearly an indication of corruption but fortunately it only breaks the master database and you can grab a remote copy and make it the master, redeploy sync databases and continue from there.

My main concern is figuring out the cause of this issue and how to avoid it moving forward. The client I'm working with now had this happen in December and again in April. The other client also had the issue in December but it hasn't reoccured for them as of this point.

This time around I've:

Completely uninstalleld SQL/ACT and reinstalled directly to 2012 Prem SP1 and then applied Hotfix 3

I've done a "Save copy as" to recreate the database structure

I've run every database rebuild that is available and finished with a reindex

Any suggestions or any other cases of people with this issue? Could it be not database specific but a problem with the software itself?

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronization exponentially increasing database size

[ Edited ]

Hello HayesConsulting,
This sounds similar to a reported issue from several months ago that has since been resolved. What version of ACT! are you using, including the Hot Fix #? You can go to Help > About ACT! for this information.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Re: Synchronization exponentially increasing database size

When this happened in December they were on 14.0, unknown hotfix. This time when it occured they were on 14.1 HF 1.

I've since uninstalled ACT and SQL and reinstalled directly to 14.1 and installed HF 3.

After doing rebuilds and reindex on the database it's even smaller than it was before all this happened. It's down to 570MB ADF and 3.5MB ALF. However, now that I'm creating the first remote database the ALF has gone up to 18MB from 3.5MB. I'm not sure if that's normal. Perhaps it's just a repercussion of turning synchronization back on in the database.

In an effort to help we've also created an archive and dumped 4 years of attachments (roughly half of the attachments) . All this has the RDB files down to 1.4GB from 3GB before this all happened.

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com