Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization Duplication Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Synchronization Duplication Problem

After I last synced the database, I ended up with numerous duplicates -- contacts both from what was on the cloud db, and what was freshly created on the PC hard drive.  What is happening here?

It may be worth pointing out that our original database is based on the cloud, not from the PC (which is the reverse of how it usually works, I gather).

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎10-05-2017 10:19 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronization Duplication Problem

Once you've synchronized, the records are in both. It doesn't matter which one you get rid of the records in ... Delete from either and the sync should take care of the rest

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Have you maybe used yet another synchronisation with one of the databases like Outlook contact synchronisation or Google contact synchronisation?

ACT! by itself creates no duplicates when synching.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

Are you saying that the contacts were in the cloud and PC separately first?

The normal way is to have the master in the cloud.

This is all I'm syncing -- I don't use Outlook or Google Contacts.  But yes, I suppose ACT is not creating the dupes -- it's that there are contacts uploaded independently to the cloud (that shouldn't have been uploaded), and many of the same exist on the hard drive, so it's just combining the two.  Do I have that right?  If so, would the solution be to just delete the extraneous information from the cloud?  Which seems difficult, as to my knowledge the web client lacks as effectively mass delete option.

Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎10-05-2017 10:19 AM

Once you've synchronized, the records are in both. It doesn't matter which one you get rid of the records in ... Delete from either and the sync should take care of the rest

Ah, I see the deal here.  Thanks!