Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronisation failes - database principal 'dbo' does not exist, after restore from backup

Synchronisation failes - database principal 'dbo' does not exist, after restore from backup

Hi Folks,

Our main ACT server got trashed by a series of brownouts during the storm this morning, so I've just finished reinstalling the darned thing (getting so sick of that...), and restoring the four databases on it from backups.

And discovered that none of our remote sites will sync.  Nice of them to send a gig of updates BEFORE failing though..

I'm getting the following error: 

-----

Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: Setuser failed because of one of the following reasons: the database principal 'dbo' does not exist, its corresponding server principal does not have server access, this type of database principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

-----

I thought the whole point of restoring from backup was that it recreated all the appropriate users, etc..  

I can do the whole copy from remote, merge, and publish dance, but when we're talking 80gb of attachments, I'm not really wanting to send the remotes back down our wan links..

Anyone know of a way to simply restore the appropriate permissions etc for the dbo user?

BTW, if it makes a difference, both the master, and remote sites are running MS SQL Server standard edition, not the express edition that ships with act..

Thanks,

Damien

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Synchronisation failes - database principal 'dbo' does not exist, after restore from backup

Check the status of the remotes within the publisher database to see if they are listed and active. Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Database.

If the remotes are not listed, or not active, they will not be able to synchronize to the publisher and there is no option to update the settings to allow it. New remotes would be the next step.

How was the restore of the publisher database done? 'Restore' or 'Restore As'...
Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Synchronisation failes - database principal 'dbo' does not exist, after restore from backup

Thanks Greg,

Yep, they're showing as active, with all the correct details showing..

I restored the DB's, by using 'Restore' (not 'Restore as')

Thanks,

Damien

Here is an article with some steps to try: KB Article 25099

Beyond those steps, try:

- Add exceptions to firewall/anti-virus using this article: KB Article 25125,  test sync

- Assuming you are using Network Sync, change the port number being used (change it in Network Sync and in remotes), test sync

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg,

I just tried those steps on the Irish DB, waiting for it to sync now..  It's a bit of a bugger that it doesn't fail till the very end of the sync - means I have to wait ~1 hour for that initial sync to go through, while it catches up the last week!

Hmm, from your comments, I'm getting the feeling that you're suggesting that a network issue could cause this dbo credentials error?

Thanks,

Damien

And bingo, Ireland is now synced!  Trying same on NZ and UK Smiley Happy

Tuned Listener

Hi Greg, 

In this reply, you have provided quite a few links for different firewall settings...my version of Bitdefender is "Total Security 2013" and there are HUGE differences between the version in the link (2009) and mine.  Do you have a link on how to set up the Bitdefender Total Security 2013 Firewall?

Thanks!

Rich

Tuned Listener

Believe it or not, after trying all of the database repairs, and firewall configurations (none of which did a thing to allow the sync to complete) I clicked on Help > About ACT > Database Information... on both my remote and main programs - and my sync now works just fine.

YAHHOOOOOOO!

It's worth a try gang!

Peace

Rich,
Glad to hear it is syncing again! And Thank You for posting the steps you used to resolve the issue.
Greg Martin
Sage