Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching multiple databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Synching multiple databases

I've dug myself a bit of a hole. We have Act! Premium v10 installed on a server with a shared database called Corp. I have two users who travel with laptops and who will be the primary users of Act!. I initially created a single remote database called CorpRemote and installed it on one of the laptops. I set Corp to accept incoming synchs but was unable to synch the remote database. Instead I turned off accept incoming synchs and installed the network synch service on the server. The CorpRemote database on laptop #1 was able to synch at first. About a week later, for no obvious reason, it would no longer synch. Synchronize Now is grayed out on the laptop. This user has added a bunch of data to their remote database.

Meanwhile laptop #2 also had CorpRemote added to it, before I figured out that you have to have a separate remote database for each remote user. This user has also added a bunch of information. Meanwhile I had imported a bunch of info from other sources into the main Corp database.

Problem #1 is I don't know why laptop #1 wont synch. Problem #2 is how do I reconcile the two remote databases and the central database, all of  which contain unique info. What I need to do is synch the two remote database to the central database and then create a new remote for laptop #2.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kurtm
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Synching multiple databases

The trick here is going to be applying a systematic approach to solving your problems.

1. Make sure your sync model actually works, cut 2 new remotes (laptop1, laptop2) and get them syncing properly to the server.

2. Consolidate data from the old remote DB's. Do a look up in the old corp database (on each laptop) to find changed or new records you can use (create date and/or edit date). Once you have a lookup you can export the records to your new remotes and sync up to the server.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author kurtm
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

The trick here is going to be applying a systematic approach to solving your problems.

1. Make sure your sync model actually works, cut 2 new remotes (laptop1, laptop2) and get them syncing properly to the server.

2. Consolidate data from the old remote DB's. Do a look up in the old corp database (on each laptop) to find changed or new records you can use (create date and/or edit date). Once you have a lookup you can export the records to your new remotes and sync up to the server.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help Brad. I did as you suggested and it worked well. The only thing I had trouble with was exporting from the existing database. Export and Import were grayed out for this user. I didn't see a specific permission for this, so it may be the Standard account type locks this out and they must be Manager or Administrator. Anyway, I merged the data between the remote and main database and then synced it up with a new remote.

Not sure what was going on with the synchronization. I discovered I couldn't started the Act Scheduler service either either from Act scheduler or from Windows Services. It would start and then immediately stop. This led me to a KB article pointing the finger at Vista's UAC. Once I turned that off and rebooted, the scheduler runs fine although that user still couldn't sync in the old remote database and neither could I when I opened it as administrator.