Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synch Database problem

Synch Database problem

i was wondering what is the best way to go about resynching a remote database back to the main database when it is passed 30 days. (now 33 days) I hae a remote user who is sysnching but is getting an eror when trying to re-synch. Is there a way to save all of the changes to a databse from a certain point adm on, export it and import into the primary database? What would be the correct process in udating the main database with the latest changes from a remote database that's suppose to be synching to the main one.

Thanks in Advance

Iluz

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Synch Database problem

It's better to troubleshoot and resolve the sync problem than to use import to move the data. For the most part import is a record level data merge while sync functions on a field level basis. If for instance you have changed the same record on two differnent fields in two databases, you will lose data on import. 

What build are you on? What is the error? 

Bronze Elite Contributor

did you set the time out to 30 days when setting up? then you would need to cut a new remote... the current remote is expired.

i always set it to 365 days but that's just cause i'm paranoid.

-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net

So, how would I go about getting any changed information added to the primary database since the remote session is expired? (There is quite enough changes that re-doing it would be enough of a pain)
Bronze Elite Contributor

After v7 or Act 2005 the remote expiration was a soft warning not a lock out. You do not need to cut a new remote if your remote is expired. It just gives you a warning to sync.

I usually set mine to 7 days to remind users that they need to sync frequently and 7 days could be stale data. When opening the database it warns them that they need to sync. Nothing more. 

Please see my original post requesting the specific error during sync and the build number. You can find the build in Help and About Act. 

Ok, I'll get the error and post it. I can't get it at the moment because the workstation is not available at the moment.

Bronze Elite Contributor

You could get the build. There have been many improvements in sync in each release including hotfixes that you may not be aware of. Updating to the most current build of your version is one of the best things you can do to improve the stability of sync.

My build is ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1
Bronze Elite Contributor

There have been two hotfixes released since then. I would recommend updating to Hotfix 3  Link contains documentation.

From the server go to Start > Run > type ACTDIAG

On the left of the diagnostic window click Database > Database List

Highlight your database and right click > go to Database Reports > Sync Reports > Sync Preview report

For each database you will see a section like this

SYNCDBID:  2 (Subscriber Database)
     DATABASE TYPE:  Desktop
          DATABASE:  Remote
   PARENT DATABASE:  1 - Publisher
   (RE)CREATE DATE:  Aug  5 2009  6:39PM
 LAST SUCCESS DATE:  Aug  5 2009  6:39PM      LAST ATTEMPT DATE:  Aug  5 2009  6:39PM
LAST COMPLETE DATE:  Jan  1 1900 12:00AM      SYNC DUR(MINUTES):  N/A
 RECV SUCCESS DATE:        RECV ATTEMPT DATE: 
   ATTACHMENT SYNC:  1
 SUPPLEMENTAL SYNC:  1

Find the section for the remote database in question. Please copy and paste this section into a reply. This will tell us if the publisher is receiving data and if any data reconcilation is necessary.

Just for clarification we are not using the Network Synch Service. We are connected by opening the correct ports on the router and synching the data that way. (Public IP connection strings) There is no Network Synch Service found on either of the computers.