Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synch ACT with Google

Synch ACT with Google

I am just getting started with ACT.  I have hundreds of contacts in my Google accounts (GMail and Google Voice) I would like to synch to ACT.  How do I do this?  I would like to synch calendars as well.  I do not have Google Apps - these are basic mail, voice and calendar accounts.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synch ACT with Google

Copper Contributor

Does ACT 2012 work with Google Apps?

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

ACT! 2013 Premium; Microsoft Office 2010
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Drew,
The ACT! 2012 Google sync works for contacts and calendar, and includes Gmail integration.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Greig. Can you confirm that ACT 2012 Pro works with Google Apps accounts?

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

Bronze Super Contributor

What exactly do you mean by "works" with?  ACT! talks to the Google Calendar and Contacts and Gmail apps...

What is it you are looking to do?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Drew is asking a smart question.

Does  Google Apps  (the commercial product) work with ACT! in the wider sense - it is a good question and people need to know. Is this serious integration or next year will it have faded into just another distraction like Smart Tasks?

The question is what is the roadmap? Is their even a  roadmap? Does Gmail, the commercial version to which companies will entrust their domain MX record, work with ACT! or are we dealing with a lightweight integration here with no solid commercial future? In other words is this a serious, scalable product or a flirt with the market place?

If there is long term commitment here, why is there no mention in product system requirements of the specification for Google integration? Why hasn't Sage given the marketplace a seious heads-up on this if it intends to put resources into it?

A really good question Drew, thank you.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thanks, Graeme... I think it is an important question, too!

This is what I found out from other sources:

Here are the good features:

• Sync contacts and calendar to Google Apps (this answers my original question)
  • Record history for incoming and outgoing email in Google Apps automatically
  • Syncs with ACT whether it's open or closed

Here are the features you lose from Outlook:

• History is all or nothing. There are no individual settings on each email. There are no icons like in Outlook
  • It will only record the history if the contact is in Google. So the contact must be part of the sync set if you want it to record the email into ACT.
  • Clicking on an email address in ACT still launches Outlook. There exists a Web Info item to send an email though Google. It works but is not as convenient as clicking the email address (inconvenient but not insurmountable)
  • No mail merge feature with Google -- this is a big concern. I am confident that $age will implement thi$ in a future relea$e of ACT, but it $eem$ like $omething they $hould have included in thi$ ver$ion. I wonder why it i$n't included? Smiley Wink
-drew
www.drewvogel.com