Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync timing out on remote databases

Tuned Listener

Sync timing out on remote databases

Hello,

I have about 15 users that sync on a daily basis and since Monday some users are having a difficult time syncing.  It is taking them up to 2-3 tries to sync as the sync is timing out.  Also, each user is getting hung up on database modifications, however, there have been NO database modifications recently.  Any suggestions?  I  checked the sync log and see that everyone has been syncing daily so there should not be too many record changes.  I have pasted the sync log below for one of the people with errors.  The sync log shows as far as it gets and then they have to force/quite ACT.  We are using ACT 2009 version 11 HF 4.    Any suggestions would be great. 

======== SYNC SESSION - 3/18/2010 9:32:00 AM ========

[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:00 AM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:00 AM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:01 AM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:11 AM ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: CCMAIN_BA
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:11 AM ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: ba089b22-a4e1-456e-aa28-0ac666eea8ff:<CCMAIN_BA>
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:16 AM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:32:46 AM ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 85
[ Info | 3/18/2010 9:33:53 AM ]Message: Server initialized.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Sync timing out on remote databases

The first thing I'd try is to perform some db maintenance tasks on the server using ActDiag.  Open ActDiag, choose your database, right click and perform the following:

• Check
  • Repair
  • Reindex

Then also under the Database Rebuild submenu:

• Rebuild Schema
  • Rebuild Sync Objects

Honestly, I don't know if *all* need to be done, but I have had the same issue, and this has remedied it.  It does not take long, so I just do them all.  Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

After an import of fields and records our remote databases either won't sync or sporadically syncs.

I attempted the steps outlined in the previous post but when I run rebuild sync objects on the server it shows an error "ACT_database is already open and can have only one user at a time".

Reboot of the server hasn't helped. Running ACT 11.1 with Hotfix 4.

Any thoughts?

Platinum Elite Contributor

If the sync is timing out it may be that there is a lot of data that is unable to go through before the sync service times out. You can attempt to get past this by increasing the sync timeout values.

- Ensure that no remote databases are attempting or in the process of syncing

- Open Windows Explorer on the server host the main database and the sync service

- Browse to the following directory: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows\ACT Network Sync

- Locate and open (with Notepad) the file Act.Framework.Synchronization.Service.exe.config

- You will see a section of script that looks similar to this:

<add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Default" value="30"/>
        <add key="DatabaseConnectionTimeOut.Default" value="30"/>
        <add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Long" value="3600"/>

- Change the first two values from 30 to 360 and save the file. This essentially gives the sync service more time to process data before timing out.

- Stop then restart the sync service

- Try syncing. If you still get the error then increase the values again (max is 900)

- Once you have done a successfull sync on all remotes, then change the values to 90.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you but that didn't resolve either issues. I still get the error on rebuilding the sync on the server database and most remote databases just won't sync with the server.

I am building new remote databases and will export the unsynched records from the previous remotes and then import them back into the new ones. I have tested a new remote and it syncs quickly.

Thanks for the advice above. We arehaving the same issues. I'd like to do as above and restore some new remte databases. How do I export the changes from the non-synching remote database and restore them into a new one?

Manythanks